Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are your winners & losers today?
GNRC oh wow! $97 to $337 in one year, up 6.65% in one day. I'd never even heard of it before.

My port has been essentially stagnant for 2 weeks now as well.
(04-30-2021, 06:27 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote: GNRC oh wow!  $97 to $337 in one year, up 6.65% in one day.  I'd never even heard of it before.  
My port has been essentially stagnant for 2 weeks now as well.
GNRC has a big secular tailwind.  I played options and small long positions past few years.  Made half what I could have just going long.  It's overvalued but good on most any dip for a swing trade IMO.  It's not a hype stock.
(04-29-2021, 05:04 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote: It's hard to have the funds to get into everything that looks nice.  Kinder Morgan looks similarly promising, and with an even higher dividend than IBM.

You can have KMI and it’s .26 dividend lol. I will take IBM any day at $1.64. I don’t worry about the dividend percentage and all that. I’m more about who pays more out. You would need to buy 650 shares to equal 100 shares of IBM to equal the monthly payout.  And KMI won’t see $20 for a long time.
Biggest loser was I had none lol.

And biggest gainer was GNRC
(04-30-2021, 08:21 AM)divmenow Wrote:
(04-29-2021, 05:04 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote: It's hard to have the funds to get into everything that looks nice.  Kinder Morgan looks similarly promising, and with an even higher dividend than IBM.

You can have KMI and it’s .26 dividend lol. I will take IBM any day at $1.64. I don’t worry about the dividend percentage and all that. I’m more about who pays more out. You would need to buy 650 shares to equal 100 shares of IBM to equal the monthly payout.  And KMI won’t see $20 for a long time.

What a strange thing to say.  I hardly look at number of shares or the dividend price/share.  I look at how much money I put into an equity, and the yield on that cost.  For the same $2500, I will get a larger dividend with KMI than with IBM.  And you don't know that KMI won't reach $20; it's doing well.
(04-30-2021, 08:44 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote:
(04-30-2021, 08:21 AM)divmenow Wrote:

What a strange thing to say.  I hardly look at number of shares or the dividend price/share.  I look at how much money I put into an equity, and the yield on that cost.  For the same $2500, I will get a larger dividend with KMI than with IBM.  And you don't know that KMI won't reach $20; it's doing well.

What can I say. I watched a lot of Big Ban Theory. So yes I'm very strange.
... and so April ends, with a thud.

But, there are still winners & losers to analyze. And today's winner I never would have seen coming. Yes, my friends, today's winner is MO. So light up your tobacco and celebrate.

Today's loser, as has become all too common, due to the chip shortage no doubt, is SOXL.
Monthly is actually somewhat useful info. should be able to figure out where we went right or wrong on sector selection and weighting. I don't actually know where the SPY and NAS are for APR? The stock side of my port is up about 4 1/2% for the month. That includes my options and the stocks actually contributed well under half of that mix. It's all about MAR for me right now.
(04-30-2021, 06:17 PM)fenders53 Wrote: Monthly is actually somewhat useful info.  should be able to figure out where we went right or wrong on sector selection and weighting.  I don't actually know where the SPY and NAS are for APR?  The stock side of my port is up about 4 1/2% for the month.  That includes my options and the stocks actually contributed well under half of that mix.  It's all about MAR for me right now.

Yeah when I punched the final numbers into my spreadsheet, April actually turned out to be a good month.  It just didn't feel that way because it was very front-loaded.
While I'm overall diversified enough to have an up day even when the Nasdaq is down, I'm getting tired of seeing some of my heavy hitters go down all the time lately.

Today's winner was NAIL of course, which I pumped up last week to be the highest valued etf in my ROTH. Other strong showings by ERX (the energy doubler), RETL, and TPOR.

Today's sad loser was WEBL, the paypal-facebook-google-twitter-salesforce tripler.

And after announcing good earnings, my company stock, like Salesforce and Service Now, was down horribly. Just a day when people were down on business process management I guess.
New port ATH but not by much. Defensive everything up, smelly chip stocks for the loss. Smile Gold and VISTA running along with others.
... and May started where April left off. My current guess is that April-May will look like Feb-March. The first 2 weeks of Feb and the last 2 weeks of March were fabulous, the middle 4 were brutal. So far the first 2 weeks of April were fabulous, and we are on week 3 of brutal.

But even on a rough day, there are notables.

Today's winner was DPST, the regional banking tripler.

Today's loser was LABU, who is clearly looking like it was too soon to get back in.

Much more concerning than my E*Trade account is the continued bashing of my company stock. It still hasn't recovered from the Feb-March downturn.