Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What Did You Buy Today?
(04-16-2021, 07:46 PM)divmenow Wrote:
(04-16-2021, 06:15 PM)MikeWa Wrote:
(04-16-2021, 06:55 AM)fenders53 Wrote:
(04-16-2021, 06:42 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote: Is it possible the correction would take the form of a choppy market for a while, rather than a violent downswing?
Anything is possible.  The lack of anything like real choppiness is what causes me concern.  It indicates those currently invested are overly optimistic.  Stonks only go up.  That and the 100 tickers that went into ludicrous mode.  That was pure 1999.V2.  

My daughter texted me last night and asked me if I was putting Dogecoin in her new IRA.  Yeah, that kind of BS Is mainstream thought.  She didn't learn that from Dad.  Smile

But if you did, you'd double or quadruple her money this week  Big Grin

Its not even a real company. It's a spoof that all the redit's of the world bid up. OF course I would have loved to have gotten in. But this is beyond spec  Big Grin

Lets not forget Snoop Dog had his hand in as well but sold after a 2 cent gain lol 

Anyway again this how crazy the market and social media has gotten. Between DODGE and GME its a joke.  Bitcoin will get punished too soon. Already down $1700 today lol. All that crypto crap wont last. Just watch the hit this sector takes in the coming months. Good old Cathie Woods and her 5 purchases today of COIN  Big Grin . That Lady has lost her touch. That fad will disappear as well lol  Big Grin
It's crazy to watch unfold.  She was absolutely fund manager of the past five years.  I'd be done investing had I thrown 100K at it in 2016.  Got no problem with her buying some COIN, but it is clearly her mission to defend positions in the short-term.  If it is hyped she will feed it daily.  That is NOT at all what she has been preaching for years.
So ARKG is down 4.86% for the year and 5.11% this month. I thought it be up over 20% with all the people who praise her lol

I don't even like the top 10 holdings.

Only TDOC I would own. The rest NTY LOL
(04-16-2021, 06:37 PM)fenders53 Wrote:
(04-16-2021, 06:15 PM)MikeWa Wrote:
(04-16-2021, 06:55 AM)fenders53 Wrote:
(04-16-2021, 06:42 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote: Is it possible the correction would take the form of a choppy market for a while, rather than a violent downswing?
Anything is possible.  The lack of anything like real choppiness is what causes me concern.  It indicates those currently invested are overly optimistic.  Stonks only go up.  That and the 100 tickers that went into ludicrous mode.  That was pure 1999.V2.  

My daughter texted me last night and asked me if I was putting Dogecoin in her new IRA.  Yeah, that kind of BS Is mainstream thought.  She didn't learn that from Dad.  Smile

But if you did, you'd double or quadruple her money this week  Big Grin
I am a lame financial advisor lol.  She was thinking we could throw $100 at it and it would somehow be a million in a few years.  She's confusing it with paying a few bucks for a bitcoin a decade ago.  She isn't going to understand how this works until a bunch of bubbles pop.  She is trying to take it serious though.  She is giving me a lot of ideas and I have no doubt she'll be ahead of the game on the next hot consumer products millennials like.  She is a bit socially conscious so we won't be buying Tyson the caged chicken murderers etc.  I will be a little careful what I suggest.
It's a good thing that you have full control of her account and can make more reasonable moves. My son is independent and unfortunately he follows reddit and makes his own mistakes.
(04-16-2021, 08:14 PM)stockguru Wrote: So ARKG is down 4.86% for the year and 5.11% this month. I thought it be up over 20% with all the people who praise her lol

Exactly. Her 10 holdings it what you look at when you buy into a ETF or Fund. And quite honestly its not that great.

And agree out of all those names TDOC is the best of the bunch. 

And its beat up on Cathie Woods Day I guess   Big Grin  But she deserves it. For a fund manager of the year she has changed what she was good at. Now she chases names and the hype and posts daily what her moves are just to bid up stocks to make her look good. Not working too well it is  Big Grin
(04-16-2021, 08:14 PM)stockguru Wrote: So ARKG is down 4.86% for the year and 5.11% this month. I thought it be up over 20% with all the people who praise her lol

Do you own anything else down 5% this month?  I don't but it's only because my stuff is conservative and that is in style for the moment.

What Genome stocks are good for the next 30 days? Seems like a longer game than that.
(04-16-2021, 08:21 PM)fenders53 Wrote:

Do you own anything else down 5% this month?  I don't but it's only because my stuff is conservative and that is in style for the moment.

What Genome stocks are good for the next 30 days? Seems like a longer game than that.

Not my post but I will answer that. I'm so conservatives now I gained $6 today  Big Grin

And as far as Genome stocks the ones you want to own are BEAM, CRSP, TXG, PACB, NTLA and EDIT 

In that order, I like that the sector has gotten punished of late. Those names are getting right in my buy territory, I did buy BEAM today right before the close and bought some BA. Just because it may get to $400 again so went in small for now.

EDIT got punished today down $7 because GS cut its target and went to a sell on it. I had Edit and sold at $82 some time ago. But GS are thieves and worst analysts out there. Do the opposite of what they sell and you will do very well. And yes I'm looking to get in again next week. 

Like I have always said the market gives you opportunities every now and then. And this sector I can get behind now at these levels. I do believe in the science of these companies. 

And would rather own stocks then the ARKG ETF.  I want the pure plays in the sector.
(04-16-2021, 08:43 PM)divmenow Wrote:
(04-16-2021, 08:21 PM)fenders53 Wrote:

Not my post but I will answer that. I'm so conservatives now I gained $6 today  Big Grin

And as far as Genome stocks the ones you want to own are BEAM, CRSP, TXG, PACB, NTLA and EDIT 

In that order, I like that the sector has gotten punished of late. Those names are getting right in my buy territory, I did buy BEAM today right before the close and bought some BA. Just because it may get to $400 again so went in small for now.

EDIT got punished today down $7 because GS cut its target and went to a sell on it. I had Edit and sold at $82 some time ago. But GS are thieves and worst analysts out there. Do the opposite of what they sell and you will do very well. And yes I'm looking to get in again next week. 

Like I have always said the market gives you opportunities every now and then. And this sector I can get behind now at these levels. I do believe in the science of these companies. 

And would rather own stocks then the ARKG ETF.  I want the pure plays in the sector.
Thanks.  I am confident I do twice as much DD as most here but this sector is out of my wheelhouse for sure.  And congrats on your $6 gain.  Better than losing $6.  Smile  Not that it matters but my ARKG is about a buck a share from even and you were in it when I arrived.  We'll see how it goes.  I intend to hold if a few years.  It wasn't meant to be a quick trade. It better outperform T because the dividends suck lol.
Someone I know lost money shorting tesla this year but guess what they made more money than that shorting arkk.

Bought sunrun put.
(04-16-2021, 10:43 PM)vbin Wrote: Someone I know lost money shorting tesla this year but guess what they made more money than that shorting arkk.

Bought sunrun put.
Let the market pull back only 20% and the shorts will be ruthless.  So many MOMO stocks have the potential to pull back 75%. Look how easily stocks like ENPH and PLTR pulled back 40%.  These are the ones people think have a strong future.  It will be ugly for the hype stories.  Some of the reopening stocks will eventually be crushed if our economy fails to be strong for years.  The market will sort out the weak ones eventually.  I still think it is a ways off but some of the hedge funds will finally have their year.
(04-17-2021, 04:24 AM)fenders53 Wrote:
(04-16-2021, 10:43 PM)vbin Wrote: Someone I know lost money shorting tesla this year but guess what they made more money than that shorting arkk.

Bought sunrun put.
Let the market pull back only 20% and the shorts will be ruthless.  So many MOMO stocks have the potential to pull back 75%. Look how easily stocks like ENPH and PLTR pulled back 40%.  These are the ones people think have a strong future.  It will be ugly for the hype stories.  Some of the reopening stocks will eventually be crushed if our economy fails to be strong for years.  The market will sort out the weak ones eventually.  I still think it is a ways off but some of the hedge funds will finally have their year.

PLTR volatility doesn't bother me. Every valuation that is tossed around assumes that the market for their services is fully mature and will grow in line with other mature sectors of the economy. Their total addressable market, to use a buzzword, is the entirety of government and private enterprise. In 20 years there won't be any major companies that don't analyze/mine all of their data to increase productivity and EPS. The ones that don't will end up like the companies that thought ecommerce was a passing fad. 

The size of the market will be just as big as what AMZN and GOOG ended up addressing. Early analyst coverage of those companies often made the mistake of evaluating their expected growth by looking at the size of the markets they served as they existed at that time, and assuming that growth in those markets was going to look like growth in other sectors of the economy. 

PLTR is already also deeply embedded with three-letter agencies, and those relationships will remain in place. Once you are part of the national security infrastructure, the government has a stake in keeping you afloat.  Their tech and user interface is second to none in the space. So, first mover advantage, government backing, 40+% revenue gains in the private sector year-on-year, into a market that will likely be one of the fastest growing sectors of the economy over the next several decades. 

I didn't have meaningful funds to deploy into the market when AMZN and GOOG made their debuts. I have made an outsized bet on PLTR. I will be fine if the position goes to zero, and my investing goals should statistically be met from my other investments, but if the company and market for its services perform as I expect, I expect to be fully retired from the proceeds of that PLTR position within 15 years. Told myself that if I ever saw an investing opportunity that I thought rivaled AMZN and GOOG when they first listed, that I would throw an outsized bet at it. No risk, no reward.
(04-17-2021, 10:00 AM)Otter Wrote:
(04-17-2021, 04:24 AM)fenders53 Wrote:

Bought sunrun put.

PLTR volatility doesn't bother me. Every valuation that is tossed around assumes that the market for their services is fully mature and will grow in line with other mature sectors of the economy. Their total addressable market, to use a buzzword, is the entirety of government and private enterprise. In 20 years there won't be any major companies that don't analyze/mine all of their data to increase productivity and EPS. The ones that don't will end up like the companies that thought ecommerce was a passing fad. 

The size of the market will be just as big as what AMZN and GOOG ended up addressing. Early analyst coverage of those companies often made the mistake of evaluating their expected growth by looking at the size of the markets they served as they existed at that time, and assuming that growth in those markets was going to look like growth in other sectors of the economy. 

PLTR is already also deeply embedded with three-letter agencies, and those relationships will remain in place. Once you are part of the national security infrastructure, the government has a stake in keeping you afloat.  Their tech and user interface is second to none in the space. So, first mover advantage, government backing, 40+% revenue gains in the private sector year-on-year, into a market that will likely be one of the fastest growing sectors of the economy over the next several decades. 

I didn't have meaningful funds to deploy into the market when AMZN and GOOG made their debuts. I have made an outsized bet on PLTR. I will be fine if the position goes to zero, and my investing goals should statistically be met from my other investments, but if the company and market for its services perform as I expect, I expect to be fully retired from the proceeds of that PLTR position within 15 years. Told myself that if I ever saw an investing opportunity that I thought rivaled AMZN and GOOG when they first listed, that I would throw an outsized bet at it. No risk, no reward.
AMZN was an online bookstore at IPO and ran up with the trash.  Might as well have been Door Dash.  The big hopes and dreams were executed just a few years later and IIRC the stock had fallen 95%.  I had 5+ years to figure it out and was shopping there seriously.  It's my biggest miss because it looks so obvious now, or even 15 years ago.

I wasn't trashing PLTR. I've been selling puts for months trying to get my price. I am willing to be long and make some money on the drop. Actual point was the company is real and it still dipped 40% while all the indexes are setting new ATHs. ENPH is quite profitable with a 150+ PE and it got slammed too. This is the quality Momo stuff. The meme stuff can easily drop 75%. No gambling lessons will be learned until this occurs. That's the stuff that gets your margin account cashed out and they send you a bill for the balance due.
Bought the 2nd leg of a 3 tranche VXX trade. Volatility WILL pop. When? Don't know, but I'm here for it.