Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1/12th of the way there!
(04-01-2021, 04:51 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote: I hope this post isn't out of line; the forum does say "or to brag" and I just wanted to share this milestone with my friends here.  My accumulation goal is $3,000,000, and I'm officially 1/12th of the way there in my E*Trade account as of close of business today!

[Image: 4aa81b01-bb3d-4a50-a25f-72785e1d01c3.png]

Of course, it is April 1st, and I'm absolutely certain my portfolio will be crushed come Monday.  But I'll savor this for the weekend Smile

To get the balance to come out so even, I added a few bucks from my checking account to round it off.

I hope everybody else's portfolios are similarly kicking butt.

Congrats, man.  Hopefully you can use this humble-brag to teach and motivate friends & family.
(04-01-2021, 04:51 PM)Rken-do-nim Wrote: I hope this post isn't out of line; the forum does say "or to brag" and I just wanted to share this milestone with my friends here.  My accumulation goal is $3,000,000, and I'm officially 1/12th of the way there in my E*Trade account as of close of business today!

Of course, it is April 1st, and I'm absolutely certain my portfolio will be crushed come Monday.  But I'll savor this for the weekend Smile

To get the balance to come out so even, I added a few bucks from my checking account to round it off.

Congrats! A quarter of million is certainly a milestone! I’m sure you will hit the 0.5M mark sooner than you’d ever expect.
Thanks everybody. Given that my account stood at $23,697.34 a year ago today, I hope the wild ride continues.
"
What's the difference between 'market' and 'trading account' ?"

For me, market is long term (DGI style) and trading is short term. Options futures and speculative trades.
(04-02-2021, 01:46 PM)Dividendwayfarer Wrote:
(04-01-2021, 04:51 PM)Rken-do-nim Wrote: I hope this post isn't out of line; the forum does say "or to brag" and I just wanted to share this milestone with my friends here.  My accumulation goal is $3,000,000, and I'm officially 1/12th of the way there in my E*Trade account as of close of business today!

Congrats! A quarter of million is certainly a milestone! I’m sure you will hit the 0.5M mark sooner than you’d ever expect.

congratulations!! idk how anything of the sort can be a bragging/out of line on a investment forum lol....like we're all here for the same reason, right?

regarding your 3mil goal...that's my goal too 3mil then retire....it use to be 1.0 to 1.2mil with no mortgage and 1.5mil with still a mortgage hanging over my head...now it's 3mil with or without (wit or witout...lol...) a mortgage

3mil gives a lot of wiggle room
I agree with Ray.  We are all here for the same reason, and sharing successes is good.  It may not be well received if you post daily balance updates to your $3MIL port, but nobody is doing that here lol.

About the only caveat I would add is always remember your beginning when replying to a post.  I know we have folks here contemplating whether they should buy one share of JNJ or AAPL this month because they can only afford to add a couple shares of stock each month.  I will always find time to offer my advice on what is a small trade to me because it's obviously important to them now.  I shouldn't feel it necessary to qualify my advice with my net worth.  It's why I like this forum over others where so many clearly come to put other posters down.  I think we should be honest and critical when required.  I enjoy being challenged.  It's generally not what you say, but how you say it that determines if it's interpreted as an attempt at being helpful.  If you disagree with my advice and go another way, I may shake my head if you lose, but I'll still be cheering if you win.  

Hope that made some sense.  It really is what I like about this place.
Yeah this is a great forum! The last forum I was on used to be great for a while, but it died. Instead of legitimate posts, it got taken over by bots and advertisements. It was a more general financial forum, and other topics like "what to do with the inheritance I just got" and "should I rent or buy" came up frequently. But yeah, one of the nice things here is that we seem to have people in various stages of the journey. I see posts where people are celebrating their first dividend payments, and others where people celebrate getting $60k in dividends a year. (So far $60k in dividends is the tops I've seen anyone mention.)

As to the 3 million goal, it does partly depend of course on how much rent I'm bringing in and whether I get a part-time job in retirement, and whether I have a spouse providing me health insurance or not. I have an ambitious travel schedule lined up for my 60s, including visiting most of the National Parks. I hear the glaciers in Glacier National Park are melting, so I will probably prioritize that one before it becomes a thing of the past, like the local "Old Man of the Mountain" in New Hampshire that is gone.

Using the "AT&T rule", which means that its yield will dictate my overall yield goal when I retire (as opposed to the standard '4% rule'), with some stocks yielding lower and some stocks yielding higher, not that it means I'm putting it all into AT&T, 3 million x 0.0683 = $204,900 a year, which would be great.
"I have an ambitious travel schedule lined up for my 60s, including visiting most of the National Parks. I hear the glaciers in Glacier National Park are melting, so I will probably prioritize that one before it becomes a thing of the past, like the local "Old Man of the Mountain" in New Hampshire that is gone."

Add in Niagara Falls if you haven't been there, it is spectacular!

Whenever we are anywhere in the vicinity (+/- 250 miles) we go see it again, regardless of the season.

It is on par with my other best travel experience of whale watching in Maui. Also must be seen to be believed.
When I first started investing, internet forums were a source of motivation. Even the early days of Motley Fool were fun. It was 95% free and there were thousands there trying to do legitimate Peter Lynch style DIY style research of new tech companies. It later turned into a pay site and pump and dump was the only real purpose of the member forums after the tech bubble popped.

S.A. is the most comprehensive forum now, but way too many of the posts are mean spirited and not really meant to help anyone, or even share meaningful info. You can scroll though and look for info, but it's not nearly as enjoyable as here.

How much wealth one needs in a stock portfolio at retirement has too many variables for one solution. If you are diversified you need less from your stock port. Pensions other than SS matter of course and those are almost non-existent for the investor starting today. I have zero desire to retire to an expensive urban area. Housing costs matter in your retirement numbers.

The 4% rule is always a good topic of debate. It seems safe but not fool proof. 2% or 8% years could turn out to be a viable course. I intend to live my life, but not overspend in the early years so I have the flexibility to draw less from my stock port if the market gets hammered. The blind luck of timing is huge. The GFC wrecked some retirement plans around 2008. If one is retiring this year they just enjoyed a 10 year bull market when their port should have been fairly large. When you get into the large numbers stage, a 25% up or down year is huge. I guess that's why I am diversified now. That $2MIL port could be 2.5M or 1.5M in a flash if it's invested wrong.
On S.A., I really like what drftr and Cliff Smith share.
(04-02-2021, 09:57 PM)fenders53 Wrote: I agree with Ray.  We are all here for the same reason, and sharing successes is good.  It may not be well received if you post daily balance updates to your $3MIL port, but nobody is doing that here lol.

About the only caveat I would add is always remember your beginning when replying to a post.  I know we have folks here contemplating whether they should buy one share of JNJ or AAPL this month because they can only afford to add a couple shares of stock each month.  I will always find time to offer my advice on what is a small trade to me because it's obviously important to them now.  I shouldn't feel it necessary to qualify my advice with my net worth.  It's why I like this forum over others where so many clearly come to put other posters down.  I think we should be honest and critical when required.  I enjoy being challenged.  It's generally not what you say, but how you say it that determines if it's interpreted as an attempt at being helpful.  If you disagree with my advice and go another way, I may shake my head if you lose, but I'll still be cheering if you win.  

Hope that made some sense.  It really is what I like about this place.

yea, fenders is point on--whatever you do be respectful--there's a fair amount of interaction here that most of us get the gist of one's personality, and would know if one is rubbing it in or not--i don't think anything like that happens here on this forum. it's like in the "real world" be respectful and for the most part you'll be fine. i'm lucky that most of my friends, we've been life long friends since we've been young--a couple are very well to do (worth 10's of millions) one inheritance and one through good solid, smart work--they don't brag and don't live like they have 10's of millions--the millionaire next door is an understatement.

as far as investing, i still buy small amount of shares, sometimes i'll buy just a few shares, hell, i bought one or two shares of baba not that long ago built up slowly to 20 shares and there you go. a friend of mine, who gets pissy with me now and then gets frustrated and says, oh i don't have your money...i tell him hey, it was 25 years of diligently putting money away...and to be honest, i'm just starting to see the fruits of my labor...it took a long time to see the benefits. he bought posters and i bought stocks, we all make decisions and growing up poor made me make certain financial decisions in life.

i feel bad for those that wait and wait then they want a magical answer, to buy that stock turning 500 bucks into a million...man it don't work that way for most. in decades, yes a possibility but in months no way man....might as well buy some pokemon crypto  or play the lotto then.
That's a great point about the posters vs. stocks. With $300 to spare at month's end, I genuinely prefer buying a share of a stock to spending it on dining out or clothes like a lot of people do. And I could long ago have upgraded my living situation or car but I don't.