Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What Did You Buy Today?
(02-23-2021, 09:45 AM)kblake Wrote: And I'm taking a beating from tech. But its a good thing I only own 5-10 shares of the high flyers. So will wait to average down my cost basis

My (current) portfolio is live by tech, die by tech.  I'm bleeding out now ... but like Arnold said, "I'll be back."  It might as well stay down until my bonus arrives next month.
Added MO, BP and AVGO
(02-23-2021, 09:45 AM)kblake Wrote:
(02-23-2021, 08:17 AM)fenders53 Wrote:
(02-23-2021, 07:57 AM)divmenow Wrote: Inflation is on the way Get your portfolios in order going forward. Add that Gold, consumer staples and value names. Oil on that list as well.  BP looking real good!

I will be hedging in some gold today.

Tech selloff is here. Called it last week lol. I’m keeping my powder dry to add sone once the selling is over. Only to the names I already own.  Add those 2 shares here and there lol
I don't know what he is charging for his newsletter but mine is only a dollar more.  You get what you pay for.   Big Grin

Actually I agreed with you and only have starter positions in most of my tech.  I'll be nibbling them all the way down to zero now.  I already have too much value.  Should have bought oil when when we were bashing it 30% ago maybe? Might add a little gold but I caught it a bit lower.  NEM looks good as the largest miner and they raised the dividend up around 3.7% I believe.  It's solid even with a substantial gold price that isn't happening anyway.  Not holding a commodity that pays nothing for years if I guess wrong though.  Not that a Div saves you but it's better than a poke in the eye.

I have about 15 limit orders in.  Hopefully a few will drop.  If all of them drop we are in for a real bad tech day.  Smile
LOL Well I will say I would definitely pay a $1 for his newsletter. At least his makes money  Big Grin

But I actually like Gold here as well. It has come down far enough where you can profit from it as these levels. And always good to hedge. Maybe its Golds turn now to lead and bitcoin to fall lol

It's amazing how far oil has run. But then again it doesn't surprise me. When everyone bashed it that's normally the time to buy. XOM is only like a $1 from its 52 week high  Big Grin

I also like PG and PEP

And I'm taking a beating from tech. But its a good thing I only own 5-10 shares of the high flyers. So will wait to average down my cost basis
Trust me I have to grin and bear it a lot of days when you guys are making $5 and I am making a buck fiddy lol.  Today is a very good day so far.  The port is down pennies overall because some of my boring stuff is rising.  I  I did a little shopping.  These are small buys, just a few shares per trade but I bought some of them three times near the open.  Just a few shares per trade and I typed as fast I as could adding more buys a few bucks lower.  Anyway the growthy port got some action.  I'm probably overbudget now.  Added to ...

TSM-NKE-AAPL-ENPH-QCOM-ARKG-ARKF  And a decent sized bite of QQQ.  Sold another VSTO put.  Laying off the put sells in case this tech correction continues.  More limit orders in for today.
(02-23-2021, 10:02 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote:
(02-23-2021, 09:45 AM)kblake Wrote: And I'm taking a beating from tech. But its a good thing I only own 5-10 shares of the high flyers. So will wait to average down my cost basis

My (current) portfolio is live by tech, die by tech.  I'm bleeding out now ... but like Arnold said, "I'll be back."  It might as well stay down until my bonus arrives next month.
Hang in there.  Over the years there have been many times I was waiting for new funds to be available.  Sometimes it's for the better.  None of this high flying stuff is anything like dirt cheap and you'll find some deals when the time arrives.  Pencil out a couple paper trades this week and learn how easy it is to be WAY too early jumping into the dips.  Most of us have a PHD in that.  Smile
(02-23-2021, 10:26 AM)fenders53 Wrote:

Hang in there.  Over the years there have been many times I was waiting for new funds to be available.  Sometimes it's for the better.  None of this high flying stuff is anything like dirt cheap and you'll find some deals when the time arrives.  Pencil out a couple paper trades this week and learn how easy it is to be WAY too early jumping into the dips.  Most of us have a PHD in that.  Smile

Yeah I jumped into the dip too early yesterday.  In addition to my bonus, I am also in the process of refinancing my home and pulling equity out, so I should have lots of spending money come later March / early April.  I already have pretty much all the trades planned out.  Then I'll finally have a true DGI portion of my portfolio in addition to the bleeding tech.
(02-23-2021, 11:02 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote:

Yeah I jumped into the dip too early yesterday.  In addition to my bonus, I am also in the process of refinancing my home and pulling equity out, so I should have lots of spending money come later March / early April.  I already have pretty much all the trades planned out.  Then I'll finally have a true DGI portion of my portfolio in addition to the bleeding tech.
I think you will be happier with that over the coming year.  All leveraged in on a couple sectors can be devastating. It's just excessive risk you don't need.  I own this T-shirt from my younger days and it was pretty damn expensive lol.  This market can pull back 10% any day, or MUCH worse over a month and you are not going to be happy.  This thread is mostly for our entertainment.  Not much fundamental analysis going on here lol.  It's about the fun part of our ports.  Swing trading and socializing a bit but to my knowledge we all have a substantial DGI portion in our overall portfolio.  If you chased dividends, that has flat underperformed QQQ and sometimes even SPY for a couple years now.  But once you are diversified you now have more options when it hits the fan.  I am buying fun stuff with more cap gain potential with income.  Let the market get hit for real and even more options.  I can dump some aristocrat that is down 15% and pick up a big cap growthy stock that is down 40%.  In my case it's my utilities.  Not afraid to dump a few shares for a small loss if there is an obvious better opportunity.  That happens pretty much every year.  It takes patience though.  Impulsiveness will get you killed.  Be picky and put all your DGI money in a few high quality DGI.      

Hope this is helpful and not too preachy.
I sold more puts on PLTR.

Sold puts on BP, CLB. Added back amzn.
Selling my xle calls, oil ran up too fast. It might correct as well( profit taking)
(02-23-2021, 11:57 AM)vbin Wrote: Selling my xle calls, oil ran up too fast. It might correct as well( profit taking)
Who knows but you won't go broke doing that.
Every time I try to build a cash position, days like this happen Smile

Added NKE, TROW, TSM, AAPL, AVGO and dabbled in names like JMIA, SBE, BNGO & PACB. All small portions.
(02-23-2021, 12:45 PM)Dividendwayfarer Wrote: Every time I try to build a cash position, days like this happen Smile

Added NKE, TROW, TSM, AAPL, AVGO and dabbled in names like JMIA, SBE, BNGO & PACB. All small portions.
This is what cash is for.  Smile  I like your thinking.  Bought most of your headliners today and just caught a little more AAPL, and finally held my nose and added to AVGO.    Be careful with that JMAI.  I traded it 50% ago and I was scared then.  Not sure if that "African Amazon" story is legit or not lol.  It's well hyped for now though.  What could go wrong?
(02-23-2021, 11:27 AM)fenders53 Wrote:
(02-23-2021, 11:02 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote:

I think you will be happier with that over the coming year.  All leveraged in on a couple sectors can be devastating. It's just excessive risk you don't need.  I own this T-shirt from my younger days and it was pretty damn expensive lol.  This market can pull back 10% any day, or MUCH worse over a month and you are not going to be happy.  This thread is mostly for our entertainment.  Not much fundamental analysis going on here lol.  It's about the fun part of our ports.  Swing trading and socializing a bit but to my knowledge we all have a substantial DGI portion in our overall portfolio.  If you chased dividends, that has flat underperformed QQQ and sometimes even SPY for a couple years now.  But once you are diversified you now have more options when it hits the fan.  I am buying fun stuff with more cap gain potential with income.  Let the market get hit for real and even more options.  I can dump some aristocrat that is down 15% and pick up a big cap growthy stock that is down 40%.  In my case it's my utilities.  Not afraid to dump a few shares for a small loss if there is an obvious better opportunity.  That happens pretty much every year.  It takes patience though.  Impulsiveness will get you killed.  Be picky and put all your DGI money in a few high quality DGI.      

Hope this is helpful and not too preachy.

Always helpful my friend.  And I will *try* to keep a cash position, so that every down day is a buying opportunity.  But that's hard to stay disciplined to do.