Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What Did You Buy Today?
(02-18-2021, 03:59 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote:
(02-18-2021, 09:21 AM)divmenow Wrote: The 20% correction is coming. I can feel it in my bones. Tech is going to get hammered this month. Something is just telling me that. Gold is going to be the new leader now. Buy GOLD and NEM lol ?

It hasn't been a good week so far, that's for sure.

I'm not sure how the rest of you manage to make moves nearly every day.  I guess you have larger cash positions than I and eat away at it slowly.
First of all don't convince yourself it's necessary.  Trust me we outsmart ourselves and guess wrong sometimes. I used to have a real job and leave things alone for months or longer.  Smile  That worked out fine.  

My portfolio is fairly large now and it's in baskets.  About 40% of it is in DG or Utilities.  Another 35-40% is income producing.  (Options so rarely more than a few days without making moves).  Most of this cash going into a new growthy port and I am buying 1 or 2 shares often.  The rest is cash that only sees the market during a very deep drawdown.  The kind that makes us cry lol.

A lot of the guys and gals here are buying one only share a few times a month and posting it here.  I hope they keep doing it.  They do research too and this isn't a country club.  You'll see us kidding each other on this thread  about making two share purchases.  I hope that doesn't turn anybody off.  We are just internet friends giving each other a hard time.  This is our daily socializing thread.

And my port is up this week but don't despair.  You'll get even some week soon when your port runs 5% and I'm at 2% wishing I was invested a little more aggressively.    

And I've been watching SOXL.  That ETF isn't afraid to move around lol.  I'll grab a little when we get a tech correction.  It looks like fun when you're winning. Smile
I need to work towards the basket approach. My plan is something like:
55% in leveraged - but diversified - etfs
35% in dividend growth or non-leveraged etfs
10% in pure dividend plays (the 4%ers and higher)

Anyway, yeah I have been able to buy a share here and a share there too; and now that I don't reinvest dividends at some point that cash will start rolling in allowing me to make more purchases. Otherwise I can only generally buy with my bonus and the two months of the year that I get 3 paychecks instead of 2. Of course once child support ends that will change.

And one down week I can live with; prior to this week my portfolio had been outpacing my day job so far this year.

At least SOXL has been trending in the right direction. LABU has been a heart breaker recently; ballooned up to 180 and now is deflating rather quickly.
There may be a basket or general strategy thread somewhere. If not you can start one. Over time you'll get some different viewpoints. Comments will get lost on the buy thread.
Added to AAPL, ABBV, EVRG, and MAIN.
Added NEE and took a new position in boring ED
UTEs are getting no love with interest rates creeping. I may nibble but getting i a little deep (even for me lol), so I need to find a different sector to build.
Bought some CCL. Looks like it finally broke some resistance. Good hit $30 soon.

On top of that I just booked my cruise for Nov for the 4 of us for $1500 for 7 days. Dirt cheap. I cant even go the shore for less then 2 grand just for a weekend getaway lol
(02-19-2021, 02:34 PM)divmenow Wrote: Bought some CCL. Looks like it finally broke some resistance. Good hit $30 soon.

On top of that I just booked my cruise for Nov for the 4 of us for $1500 for 7 days. Dirt cheap. I cant even go the shore for less then 2 grand just for a weekend getaway lol

That sounds like fun DiveMeNow :-)
Never hurts to give business to a company you've invested in !
The cruise seems like a steal... We've been thinking of booking a cruise as well... The flight prices from Minnesota to places where the cruises start from actually defeats the purpose though (Done 2 cruises from Seattle to Alaska and from Charleston to the Caribbean islands)... Itching to get back on it again :-)
(02-19-2021, 11:37 AM)fenders53 Wrote: UTEs are getting no love with interest rates creeping.  I may nibble but gettiing far so I need to find a different sector to build.

No doubt. I was doing some work updating my watch list last night and hadn't realized they'd dropped so much.

AEP at a 3.75% yield now and WEC at 3.25%.

Might have to spend my first dividend reinvestment on bringing up a utility in size.
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
(02-19-2021, 02:57 PM)saimash Wrote:
(02-19-2021, 02:34 PM)divmenow Wrote: Bought some CCL. Looks like it finally broke some resistance. Good hit $30 soon.

The cruise seems like a steal... We've been thinking of booking a cruise as well... The flight prices from Minnesota to places where the cruises start from actually defeats the purpose though (Done 2 cruises from Seattle to Alaska and from Charleston to the Caribbean islands)... Itching to get back on it again :-)

I have lived in Boston all my life and have yet to do the Boston to Bermuda cruise.  As soon as Covid ends!
(02-19-2021, 03:30 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote:
(02-19-2021, 02:57 PM)saimash Wrote:

I have lived in Boston all my life and have yet to do the Boston to Bermuda cruise.  As soon as Covid ends!

Yeah were going from Orlando to Mexico and Jamaica. Have to fly out from Philly to get to Orlando first lol

But that's why I booked the cruise now while there cheap. Once the pandemic ends they will most likely go up. 

Best thing is if Nov 21st comes and the pandemic isn't over they refund your money. So its a win, win  Big Grin

Boston area is fun. You a Sox fan? I can't wait wait for baseball to start. Die hard fan
Added ED to my long term account.