Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What Did You Buy Today?
In my trading IRA I sold out of my positions in MO and COR and used the proceeds to add to GBTC and open new positions in CRSP, EDIT, NTLA, NVTA, and PACB.
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
(12-31-2020, 10:41 AM)The EricL Wrote: In my trading IRA I sold out of my positions in MO and COR and used the proceeds to add to GBTC and open new positions in CRSP, EDIT, NTLA, NVTA, and PACB.

Come on Eric you left out the best in BEAM. You have to add that one too lol.  I own all these as well. The Future is bright. GL
I sold VTRS today.
added DEO, BGS, HD, CRSP, EDIT, PM, and TGT

That's enough to end the year lol
Added to CM.to and ERES and a tiiiiny add to GEO too.
(12-30-2020, 11:09 PM)fenders53 Wrote:
(12-30-2020, 06:41 PM)pdaignau Wrote:
(12-28-2020, 06:26 PM)fenders53 Wrote:  

Nilesmike is an options guru IMO.  I just practice a simpler strategy.  We have discussed this subject ad nauseum on the conservative options thread but we are just talking to ourselves.  Nobody ever asks a question.

I'm NO guru, trust me.

Sometimes with your rolling your strategy is significantly more complex than mine.

I do trade options, not mechanically but when I see an opportunity that I like. I also BUY some options from time to time. My best method involves being short some (selling calls) while also being long others (selling puts) I like that rhythm and take the options off when I hit a good profit (whether the market goes up or down).

I also do some quant trades on a regular schedule, I have a position in SVXY most times, buy VIX calls when it's 13 ish-literally guaranteed money.

I trade very simply but mix up a lot of different things, so something is always making money. Then the dividend portfolio makes money every day.

Best to all Happy New Year
(12-31-2020, 04:57 PM)NilesMike Wrote:
(12-30-2020, 11:09 PM)fenders53 Wrote:
(12-30-2020, 06:41 PM)pdaignau Wrote:
(12-28-2020, 06:26 PM)fenders53 Wrote:  

Nilesmike is an options guru IMO.  I just practice a simpler strategy.  We have discussed this subject ad nauseum on the conservative options thread but we are just talking to ourselves.  Nobody ever asks a question.

I'm NO guru, trust me.

Sometimes with your rolling your strategy is significantly more complex than mine.

I do trade options, not mechanically but when I see an opportunity that I like. I also BUY some options from time to time. My best method involves being short some (selling calls) while also being long others (selling puts) I like that rhythm and take the options off when I hit a good profit (whether the market goes up or down).

I also do some quant trades on a regular schedule, I have a position in SVXY most times, buy VIX calls when it's 13 ish-literally guaranteed money.

I trade very simply but mix up a lot of different things, so something is always making money. Then the dividend portfolio makes money every day.

Best to all Happy New Year
Ok, I'll rephrase that.  You have a more diverse knowledge about different option strategies.  I do the same two or three strategies over and over.  I made money before I ever met you.  I make more now because I heeded some of your critiques.   

My rolling strategy is not complicated IMO, but it is certainly tedious when the market heads the wrong way too fast.  I also tend to have too many too many positions at times.  1 contract open in 20 stocks when it would be MUCH easier to manage more contracts in half or less the number of stocks.  The tedious method offers only one advantage and it's a bit more diversification. There is almost always something working.  Not worth it sometimes.  (in hindsight of course). 

For a new options player, I would sell a few covered puts and calls and watch how it works in varied markets.  It's been like shooting fish in a barrel 22 of the last 24 months.  Those bad months will test your nerve.  No different than watching a 100% long port get killed though.

And Happy New Year to everyone.
Bought some FLIC this morning.

The past few weeks are the first time I have had any meaningful IRA to work with (rollover from 401k after 15 years at the same firm). It is nice to be able to sell covered calls (weeklies) and cash-secured puts to juice portfolio income without immediate tax consequences.
Also, returning to the theme of BABA, looks like Jack Ma has either been disappeared or sent for reeducation. China, like other dictatorships, is not investible.

If the CEO of a Fortune Global 500 company can just be disappeared, imagine how low on the priorities list protecting shareholder value is...
Added to XOM, MO, T, GOOGL, AMZN, HBAN, and MCBC.
(01-04-2021, 10:39 AM)Otter Wrote: Also, returning to the theme of BABA, looks like Jack Ma has either been disappeared or sent for reeducation. China, like other dictatorships, is not investible.

If the CEO of a Fortune Global 500 company can just be disappeared, imagine how low on the priorities list protecting shareholder value is...

I was sad when I dumped my accidental purchase or 220 shares Christmas eve for a quick $440 and the stock ran 10+ higher next trading day.  I still own 6 shares of BABA in my growthy port and it's down $25.  I think I'll sit quietly and hold for the moment.  Not a chance I am holding a large position in a China stock longer than a couple hours. Smile  Still a good spec. Best chance for real large cap growth on the planet this year.
(01-04-2021, 10:47 AM)fenders53 Wrote:
(01-04-2021, 10:39 AM)Otter Wrote: Also, returning to the theme of BABA, looks like Jack Ma has either been disappeared or sent for reeducation. China, like other dictatorships, is not investible.

I was sad when I dumped my accidental purchase or 220 shares Christmas eve for a quick $440 and the stock ran 10+ higher next trading day.  I still own 6 shares of BABA in my growthy port and it's down $25.  I think I'll sit quietly and hold for the moment.  Not a chance I am holding a large position in a China stock longer than a couple hours. Smile  Still a good spec. Best chance for real large cap growth on the planet this year.

Should have referred to Ma as "retired," but I stand by my post.

The performance of BABA this year depends entirely upon the whims of Xi, which I don't have any special insight into. If he decides that destroying BABA (parting it out to competitors with CEOs who are sufficiently loyal, or just salting the earth and destroying it entirely) is the move that most enhances his power, and makes it less likely that any other upstart will dare challenge him, it's not like there is anything to stop him. There are no checks and balances, and no separation of state from market there.