Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What Did You Buy Today?
(12-28-2020, 10:57 AM)pdaignau Wrote: What are people planning on buying with their 2021 IRA contributions?  I'm still undecided.
  • In my Roth I've been experimenting with higher yield (PCI, T, etc.).  I'm thinking about something like QYLD.
  • In my wife's Roth, I usually buy the best value/quality DGI stock I can.  Nothing is jumping out at me, might buy into a DGI ETF (for now).
Unrelated... Bought a few more shares of BABA.  I've been working on a small position on the recent drops.  I know it's not DGI, but I've seen people here talking about it.

Paul

PCI is an interesting ETF that pays a monthly dividend. Looks safe to buy in at these levels.

T not a fan of. This one is good only if your in for the yield and don't expect a move either way  Big Grin

I would rather just put it all in PTI

I would look at MO and VZ
bought KMI, added PSXP, PLTR
(12-28-2020, 10:57 AM)pdaignau Wrote: What are people planning on buying with their 2021 IRA contributions?  I'm still undecided.
  • In my Roth I've been experimenting with higher yield (PCI, T, etc.).  I'm thinking about something like QYLD.
  • In my wife's Roth, I usually buy the best value/quality DGI stock I can.  Nothing is jumping out at me, might buy into a DGI ETF (for now).
Unrelated... Bought a few more shares of BABA.  I've been working on a small position on the recent drops.  I know it's not DGI, but I've seen people here talking about it.

Paul
I own some T and used to own a lot more at times.  FWIW it's an income stock period.   It's a fake Aristocrat/DGI after so many years of miniscule raises and high debt and in my opinion you have to do some combination of the following to make it worth the risk.

-never buy many, if any, shares when it is up above 30.  You don't have to buy them all rock bottom but you better be adding when it is probing sub 27.  

-enter by selling a put when it get's near the bottom of what you believe is the trading range.  They will mostly expire worthless, so rinse and repeated until you get some shares assigned.  Sell some calls, at least quarterly.  The option income added to dividend income piles up.

-don't be afraid to trim some shares if you get lucky and the SP runs a few months after you bought low. 

-it's pretty easy to collect 15% a year in a stock I consider a complete dog for the foreseeable future.  If they get their act together and it runs past $40, oh well.            

I'd go easy on high yield anything until we get a pullback.  Most of the ones I follow always get smoked in a market downturn.  When the credit markets get scared they suffer.
I think T is a good bet at these levels, especially when everything else is super expensive. That dividend is monstrous and while they have a tendency to screw up most things, at least on some level the turnaround seems to be happening. (debt is being reduced. Cash flows are increasing. Dividend payout ratios are looking better from what I can remember.)

It won't be a big winner anytime soon but I think it's worth holding for that dividend. I have enough already so I'm not adding but I'm pretty sure all of my buys in recent years have been between $27 and $29.
If T continues to pay down debt for 5 years then maybe this looks real good in an IRA 10 years from now. If not, then I'd speculate most of the Aristocrats are going to outperform T, as most of them have for many years.
Added CRSP, TDOC, MO, CRWD, PG, HD, RGEN and NNN

Sold ADP, WSM, and MMM
Did some end of the year buying to close out the year. V, BAM, CMCSA, AAPL, KEY, CAH, and LAND.
(12-29-2020, 02:33 AM)crimsonghost747 Wrote: I think T is a good bet at these levels, especially when everything else is super expensive. That dividend is monstrous and while they have a tendency to screw up most things, at least on some level the turnaround seems to be happening. (debt is being reduced. Cash flows are increasing. Dividend payout ratios are looking better from what I can remember.)

It won't be a big winner anytime soon but I think it's worth holding for that dividend. I have enough already so I'm not adding but I'm pretty sure all of my buys in recent years have been between $27 and $29.

HBO Max, despite the initial rollout issues, is going to be a powerhouse in streaming. The Warner Media content library is huge, and HBO has a long history of creating marquee programming. Netflix is losing content at a rapid pace, as media companies like T aim to keep their content in-house for their own streaming services. 

I'm guessing that within the next few years, T will roll AT&T TV (digital streaming version of U-Verse cable television, with a proprietary box like Roku) into HBO Max, as a premium content tier. Too many intra-company brands in that space at the moment (DirecTV, U-Verse, AT&T TV, AT&T TV Now, HBO Max), which would benefit to streamlining into a single service and unitary branding. Would also be great to see T negotiate something like NFL Sunday Ticket as a premium add-on for HBO Max. 

The relatively stable cash flows from the cell phone service should continue, as media/streaming revenues ramp up over the next several years. A run to $40 could be in the cards when the engine starts running, similar to what happened during the initial iPhone days. I'll collect the dividend in the meantime.
Added T, XLE, sold cvs puts.
(12-29-2020, 10:40 AM)Otter Wrote:
(12-29-2020, 02:33 AM)crimsonghost747 Wrote: I think T is a good bet at these levels, especially when everything else is super expensive. That dividend is monstrous and while they have a tendency to screw up most things, at least on some level the turnaround seems to be happening. (debt is being reduced. Cash flows are increasing. Dividend payout ratios are looking better from what I can remember.)

HBO Max, despite the initial rollout issues, is going to be a powerhouse in streaming. The Warner Media content library is huge, and HBO has a long history of creating marquee programming. Netflix is losing content at a rapid pace, as media companies like T aim to keep their content in-house for their own streaming services. 

I'm guessing that within the next few years, T will roll AT&T TV (digital streaming version of U-Verse cable television, with a proprietary box like Roku) into HBO Max, as a premium content tier. Too many intra-company brands in that space at the moment (DirecTV, U-Verse, AT&T TV, AT&T TV Now, HBO Max), which would benefit to streamlining into a single service and unitary branding. Would also be great to see T negotiate something like NFL Sunday Ticket as a premium add-on for HBO Max. 

The relatively stable cash flows from the cell phone service should continue, as media/streaming revenues ramp up over the next several years. A run to $40 could be in the cards when the engine starts running, similar to what happened during the initial iPhone days. I'll collect the dividend in the meantime.
.... or maybe they will acquire all the vacant Blockbuster stores instead?  Smile  J/K, the streaming opportunities are the only thing keeping this pig from heading for $25.  I still hold shares for the Div, but I'm done with large positions until they make a few more sensible moves.
Opened a position in ARKK on the dip.
Added to ED