Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What Did You Buy Today?
Added CVS. Added more psxp, Started a position in BMY.

Noticed Buffet trimmed apple( Is he going to sell all?) And added ABBV, BMY, MRK.
(11-24-2020, 01:37 PM)vbin Wrote: Added CVS. Added more psxp, Started a position in BMY.

Noticed Buffet trimmed apple( Is he going to sell all?) And added ABBV, BMY, MRK.
Saw an interview and one of his kids trimmed.  BRK owns about 5% of AAPL.  Warren buys what he wants when he wants.  The kids are on a budget.  My understanding is they control like $90B+ each.  Wanna buy a new position, gotta trim something else.  That's not a bad budget.  Smile It's pretty clear he does have considerable trust in their decisions for you BRK.b holders.
Sold LOW after only a week. Used them like the dirty blue dogs they are. I have fun trashing them in jest when one of my HD customers slips up and thinks they are at Lowes. Happens constantly lol.
So what does everyone's crystal ball say for the next two months? Into inauguration timeframe to pick a date. You don't have to type a novel like I do but a quick opinion would be great. None of this affects my core DGI strategy much but most of the active participants on this thread trade at least a little.

Up- a little or a lot?
Down- a little or a lot?
Choppy and rangebound?

Did I miss any obvious triggers?

Severity of Covid and potential lockdowns.
Christmas Season
Senate runoffs in GA
Stimulus

My crystal ball says rangebound and occasionally choppy. Continued sector rotations while the market searches for a daily/weekly theme. Near zero chance of a significant near-term pullback unless Covid causes an Armageddon response like March. I do think a few states will do that in vain, but mostly not. Christmas season is usually good but I don't see much out there that doesn't already have that baked in. Senate elections are a big deal only if the DEMs take the Senate. Might not cause a crash but it would cause an extreme sector rotation for sane investors. Assured gridlock is a non market mover IMO. I've given up even predicting a stimulus date but there will be one, and I will be in the market when it happens. That could very well be half our potential 2021 gains. I don't think the market pays attention to real economic numbers until 2021.

I truly don't have a favorite sector that hasn't run up excessively already. 5-10% dips and I add a few shares in good companies I'm not afraid to hold. I'll keep selling puts but I am not going to crowd the strike price like I usually do until the world settles down some. I don't want to be forced into 1000 new shares the same week.

Opinions? Especially your favorite sectors because I really don't see much to entice me.
Even if they lock down the whole country, that won't bring the market down more than 10-15 %. That's old news now. You will need a new catalyst. If no correction in December, I believe we are headed for spy 4000.

Though I did sell a little indexes in my HSA and increased cash.
(11-24-2020, 06:25 PM)vbin Wrote: Even if they lock down the whole country, that won't bring the market down more than 10-15 %. That's old news now. You will need a new catalyst. If no correction in December, I believe we are headed for spy 4000.
I think so too, and then maybe SPY 3000 after that?  Smile   SPY 4000 could happen this year.  A 15% correction will strike fear and change the game for awhile. That usually means some high flyers dropped 25% and that is enough for gambler margin calls.
What is this 4000 SPY that you speak of? SPX perhaps?

I do see a long steady grind up from here. Vaccines and opening of commerce will help, stimulus would help, money from the sidelines would help. Pretty much blue sky for a while.
(11-24-2020, 10:11 PM)NilesMike Wrote: What is this 4000 SPY that you speak of? SPX perhaps?

I do see a long steady grind up from here. Vaccines and opening of commerce will help, stimulus would help, money from the sidelines would help. Pretty much blue sky for a while.
S&P. SPY will translate to 400. On a speculative note, I had purchased couple of hundrred worth of bitcoin couple of years ago for fun. That turned out to be a multi-bagger when I revisited my account recently.

Cathie woods and a few other investors are super bulish and I am hearing imf pushing central banks towards digital currency. It could be a dud or could be the next trend. I am going to dca a few bucks on it as a speculative play.(If there is a correction.) She has a white paper on BTC with some interesting propositions. Worth the read.

If bitcoin was a stock and we do look at last 10 year performance, it would have beaten everything in the market heads down.
(11-24-2020, 10:21 PM)vbin Wrote:
(11-24-2020, 10:11 PM)NilesMike Wrote: What is this 4000 SPY that you speak of? SPX perhaps?

S&P. SPY will translate to 400. On a speculative note, I had purchased couple of hundrred worth of bitcoin couple of years ago for fun. That turned out to be a multi-bagger when I revisited my account recently.

Cathie woods and a few other investors are super bulish and I am hearing imf pushing central banks towards digital currency. It could be a dud or could be the next trend. I am going to dca a few bucks on it as a speculative play.(If there is a correction.) She has a white paper on BTC with some interesting propositions. Worth the read.

If bitcoin was a stock and we do look at last 10 year performance, it would have beaten everything in the market heads down.

I got ya! Just tried to get cute-OOPS.

My son does BTC as well and done very well. I could never get the account mechanics down- guess I wasn't that interested. Will check out the white paper if I can find it, thanks.
Here you go https://ark-invest.com/white-papers/
Here you go https://ark-invest.com/white-papers/
Maybe we actually are planning to sell some SPY at 4000? We can dream lol. BTC is one I missed. When I looked into it long ago it felt like I was trying to buy a pink sheet stock out of a van. Smile Wish I had just bought a few coins back then. I really thought it would be outlawed or regulated enough to wreck it.

Willingness to get the vaccine is going to be important. It's come up in conversation and roughly half I have talked to have no intention for various reasons. Maybe that will change by summer?