Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What Did You Buy Today?
(08-19-2020, 12:51 PM)saimash Wrote: Bought some BioMarin @ 75.10 today (on the bad news of FDA rejection of their Hemophilia gene therapy
Looks like an over-reaction. Oh well, when was the last time market did not over-react?
Sold some T $28 puts expiring on 9/18. Figured it was good deal and can add another 100 shares.
(08-20-2020, 09:55 AM)kblake Wrote: Sold some T $28 puts expiring on 9/18. Figured it was good deal and can add another 100 shares.
About as conservative a method as possible to end up with a 10%+ annual return unless the market just gets crushed.  Puts are generally pretty easy to roll forward a month if you want more time to decide to go long.   

Very slow week for me so far.  Put sales in KO,AEP,ALE,OLN,WY.  I have a lot of contracts expiring worthless tomorrow.  Still hoping for a dip that never comes.  I think the market is just waiting for me to go all in lol.  

LHX and BMY are now my largest positions.  MRK is no longer my largest because I cheated and sold a few shares while it was up yesterday.  Not many though.
(08-20-2020, 09:55 AM)kblake Wrote: Sold some T $28 puts expiring on 9/18. Figured it was good deal and can add another 100 shares.

Nice safe play. 

Selling puts is the right thing to do now.

I added puts in AEP, WTRG and MO
(08-20-2020, 12:01 PM)divmenow Wrote:

Nice safe play. 

Buying puts is the right thing to do now.

He didn't buy puts, he wrote the contracts.
T is poised to go long if 28.90 holds.

Sold the 28 puts in 16 OCT, much more bang for the buck $.55
(08-20-2020, 12:01 PM)divmenow Wrote:

Nice safe play. 

Buying puts is the right thing to do now.

I added puts in AEP, WTRG and MO
AEP is a nice regional offset to your large DUK position.  That might sound silly, but it isn't when a hurricane whacks much of the we service area a couple years in a row, or a regional important industry struggles on you.  

If you want a UTE to trade that won't get you killed like a tech stock will some month soon, check out ALE (Allete), formerly Minnesota Power and Light, merged with Superior (UP Michigan are).  Do some DD of course.  They are diversified.  Regulated UTE, heading more green, some water, even a little coal property which may or may not have value.  I finally turned in my paper stock certificates lol.  Long story short they get a lot of their Revs from the Taconite industry (low quality steel mining in the Minnesota iron range).  There is a reason why the stock is way off it's high but they aren't going out of business.  I keep some long shares for the Div which is 4%+.  At least ten years of uninterrupted dividend growth.  Payout ratio isn't outrageous.  Volatile enough lately to keep option premiums decent enough to bother with.  Lately when it gets around 55 I usually sell a put or buy a few more shares below 55. When it runs near 60 I'll sell a covered call or two.  Your mileage may vary but I'm not afraid to get stuck with some extra shares if it happens.  This is about as close as you can get to Canada.  They'll sell enough power come winter.  

If you can't flip it for 10% and sneak in a Div you aren't half the trader I thought you were.   Big Grin   I really wish they'd have a horrendous earnings report so I can load up on a dip.  It looks like it's finding some down side support.  It runs up pretty quick when it shouldn't.
How do you ever get filled in ALE? There's no volume and very little open interest??
(08-20-2020, 04:31 PM)NilesMike Wrote: How do you ever get filled in ALE? There's no volume and very little open interest??
I don't recall it taking longer than 10 minutes. I start with a limit order just inside the bid-ask depending on puts or calls, adjust it up a time or two and walk away.  They usually fill around mid-range like normal.  It's not like trading T for sure, but I'm only dealing with 1 or 2 contracts of ALE.  I wouldn't wait until 20 minutes before expiration to close or roll a position if that was my intent.  I sell options on a number of stocks that don't have much volume.  Perhaps market makers pick up the trades?  I don't know, but I don't chase them and they usually fill.  These are almost always a low number of contracts.
Added HD and took a new position in DDS. A name that probably know one knows about lol. But all their stores are now open and they are one the best positioned retailers to weather this retail storm. Solid balance sheet with at least $40 share in tangible assets. So they can afford to continue to pay dividend. I will put this under the speculative stock with potential lol. There on no Dillard's anywhere near me. The closest in VA and that's far away from PA LOL. But I have been in many when in the Houston and Dallas area.
DE is knocking it out of the park. I wonder if CAT can do the same?? Cat still not overly expensive.
Added to JPM, BAM, and PBCT.