Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What Did You Buy Today?
(08-05-2020, 12:42 PM)EricL Wrote:
(08-05-2020, 10:34 AM)fenders53 Wrote: Admit it you guys are gambling at these valuations and nothing more, but I admit it's fun.  LVGO is one of the Super Deluxe Story Stock Ultra Gotta Own picks I mentioned my buddy gets in his newsletter subscription service.  I have been preaching to him to be careful, but he won and I went with ROKU via options for this weeks play lol.  That was too easy.  I'll have to look for another the next few days.

Been dumping my big  oil at a profit the past few days by some miracle.  I've seen enough already.  XOM cuts off their employee 401 plan matching program.  Smells like desperation.  I'll keep ENB but I'm out other than that.

Oh there's no doubt that it's a risky buy at this valuation. My bet is about 3% of my trading portfolio, so I'm not jumping in headfirst by any means.

We know you aren't. And 3% of my port is like throwing down on a spec lol.  Smile  

Looks like I was a day or two early shorting DE.  May have to double down.  I'll get burned fighting the tape one of these times lol.
Anyone own WDC? They had a horrible report. I haven’t owned it since it was well over $100 many, many years ago.
I truly cannot understand this market. I shifted a large portion of my retirement account to cash prior to the jul 31 expiration of unemployment money expecting a downtown and it keeps raging higher. Disney for example has the worst quarter ever and is up 8 percent today??? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Put me in the camp of not understanding the market's exuberance too. Moved into a significant cash position over the summer with the anticipation the true buying opportunity will come this winter/early 2021.
(08-05-2020, 02:09 PM)fenders53 Wrote:
(08-05-2020, 01:46 PM)crimsonghost747 Wrote: While you guys are debating funky loss making companies with no dividend that are up hundreds or even thousands of percentages in the past 12 months, I went ahead and initiated a position in MAA.

We almost fell asleep reading that.  Hope your day is more exciting than your stock trades.  Smile
Looks like you will get assigned
(08-05-2020, 05:46 PM)vbin Wrote:
(08-05-2020, 01:46 PM)crimsonghost747 Wrote: While you guys are debating funky loss making companies with no dividend that are up hundreds or even thousands of percentages in the past 12 months, I went ahead and initiated a position in MAA.

We almost fell asleep reading that.  Hope your day is more exciting than your stock trades.  Smile
I will likely roll them forward a week while they settle down.  It's usually pretty easy with high option premium stocks.  Need to listen to the conference calls before I decide.  I knew they were primed to get hit after reporting but FSLY got hit a little worse than I expected.  That's why they call it spec.  Smile I would like to hold both companies but not 100 share initial purchase unless I think I am close enough to the near-term bottom.
(08-05-2020, 07:30 PM)fenders53 Wrote:

I will likely roll them forward a week while they settle down.  It's usually pretty easy with high option premium stocks.  Need to listen to the conference calls before I decide.  I knew they were primed to get hit after reporting but FSLY got hit a little worse than I expected.  That's why they call it spec.  Smile I would like to hold both companies but not 100 share initial purchase unless I think I am close enough to the near-term bottom.
I bought some znga too. I was thinking people will play more games while at home. They had a good earning. Thinking to keep the free stocks and take out the house money.
(08-05-2020, 08:10 PM)vbin Wrote:

I will likely roll them forward a week while they settle down.  It's usually pretty easy with high option premium stocks.  Need to listen to the conference calls before I decide.  I knew they were primed to get hit after reporting but FSLY got hit a little worse than I expected.  That's why they call it spec.  Smile  I would like to hold both companies but not 100 share initial purchase unless I think I am close enough to the near-term bottom.
I bought some znga too. I was thinking people will play more games while at home. They had a good earning. Thinking to keep the free stocks and take out the house money.
IMO that's rarely a bad idea when you are fortunate enough to do well with a spec.  It's just too easy to get hit by a train if you ride high valuation stocks up and never trim profits. They aren't all the next AAPL.  

I am feeling comfortable enough to put spec back in my port.  I just want stocs that look good for five years if that's how it ends up.  I will keep spec at 10% max.  Tech is outside my wheelhouse but I am going to have to deal with that.  I think I am going to start with ROKU, FSLY and TDOC.  Add a few more as I go.  I am too late for a ten bagger at these valuations so I'll try not to rush in.  That was the whole point of selling way out of the money puts lol.  This is the second time in under a week I sold a ROKU put.  The premiums are crazy so I have to do that.  If they run away from me I'll move on.  They won't go straight up forever.
(08-05-2020, 09:46 PM)fenders53 Wrote:
(08-05-2020, 08:10 PM)vbin Wrote:
(08-05-2020, 02:09 PM)fenders53 Wrote: We almost fell asleep reading that.  Hope your day is more exciting than your stock trades.  Smile
I will likely roll them forward a week while they settle down.  It's usually pretty easy with high option premium stocks.  Need to listen to the conference calls before I decide.  I knew they were primed to get hit after reporting but FSLY got hit a little worse than I expected.  That's why they call it spec.  Smile  I would like to hold both companies but not 100 share initial purchase unless I think I am close enough to the near-term bottom.
IMO that's rarely a bad idea when you are fortunate enough to do well with a spec.  It's just too easy to get hit by a train if you ride high valuation stocks up and never trim profits. They aren't all the next AAPL.  

I am feeling comfortable enough to put spec back in my port.  I just want stocs that look good for five years if that's how it ends up.  I will keep spec at 10% max.  Tech is outside my wheelhouse but I am going to have to deal with that.  I think I am going to start with ROKU, FSLY and TDOC.  Add a few more as I go.  I am too late for a ten bagger at these valuations so I'll try not to rush in.  That was the whole point of selling way out of the money puts lol.  This is the second time in under a week I sold a ROKU put.  The premiums are crazy so I have to do that.  If they run away from me I'll move on.  They won't go straight up forever.
I don't know much about ROKU and pretty much nothing about TDOC. But they aren't pure tech stocks, specially TDOC. But I am bulish on Tech aswell since I can remember and have been just waiting mostly, lol. Everytime I have bought and sold apple, it has split after few weeks.

In my opinion If you do want to get into tech, msft, goog, twlo, SQ, AAPL,( (at a pullback), they are getting into payments seriously and that will again generate billions for them ), broadcom, Taiwan semiconductor, Nvidia, Adobe, Amazon( too expensive), DOCU and few more. These are the companies you want to look at.

Cloud growth has just started and it's going to explode in next few years.

On a different note, does anyone know Data center based REIT or Data center operations based companies with lengthy contracts?
Thanks. Some of my spec will not be pure tech simply because I don't understand most of these small cap high fliers. I'm not going to pretend to know with big positions. I'd prefer big tech but staying away at these valuations. I loaded up on them when they dipped in fall 2018. Sold them off gradually but not gradually enough. I'll get another chance when the music stops. I am not going to chase 1 1/2T companies in this economy. I'll sit on undervalued div payers and recycle put premiums as long as necessary to avoid extreme risk with the majority of my port. I don't have to worry about utility companies and aristocrats going out of business. Heck I'm even spooked by big oil's five year outlook for now lol. Pretty crazy to see them stumbling along losing outrageous sums of money. Of course they'll survive. I own enough survival stocks with the pandemic here for awhile longer.
(08-05-2020, 10:50 PM)fenders53 Wrote: Thanks. Some of my spec will not be pure tech simply because I don't understand most of these small cap high fliers. I'm not going to pretend to know with big positions. I'd prefer big tech but staying away at these valuations. I loaded up on them when they dipped in fall 2018. Sold them off gradually but not gradually enough. I'll get another chance when the music stops. I am not going to chase 1 1/2T companies in this economy. I'll sit on undervalued div payers and recycle put premiums as long as necessary to avoid extreme risk with the majority of my port. I don't have to worry about utility companies and aristocrats going out of business. Heck I'm even spooked by big oil's five year outlook for now lol. Pretty crazy to see them stumbling along losing outrageous sums of money. Of course they'll survive. I own enough survival stocks with the pandemic here for awhile longer.
Sounds like a smart thing to do right now.
(08-05-2020, 10:23 PM)vbin Wrote: On a different note, does anyone know Data center based REIT or Data center operations based companies with lengthy contracts?
Two I know of are DLR and IRM