Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What Did You Buy Today?
(07-28-2020, 08:27 AM)fenders53 Wrote: Hold that thought on Gold and Silver.  You weren't wrong to avoid it the past few weeks.  We got lucky and it broke out FINALLY.  It will consolidate soon enough.  I do happen to believe it is VERY crash resistant for the foreseeable future.  At some point silver gets sketchy as it's an industrial metal and the market can be flooded with physical silver.  You know the miners are digging as fast as they can n
I think gold and Silver and the stay at home stocks are the place to be heading into 2021. I already own KL, AEM, GOLD, WPM, NEM and GLD. So I'm in gold pretty heavy. However if we do get a pullback I will add. 
Look at MMM. That should give you a indication of what stocks will look like going forward. No guidance, and gloom on the outlook.
MO is a also a good place to hide. Tech too pricey but a good add on significant pullback.
(07-28-2020, 09:31 AM)divmenow Wrote:
(07-28-2020, 08:27 AM)fenders53 Wrote: Hold that thought on Gold and Silver.  You weren't wrong to avoid it the past few weeks.  We got lucky and it broke out FINALLY.  It will consolidate soon enough.  I do happen to believe it is VERY crash resistant for the foreseeable future.  At some point silver gets sketchy as it's an industrial metal and the market can be flooded with physical silver.  You know the miners are digging as fast as they can n
I think gold and Silver and the stay at home stocks are the place to be heading into 2021. I already own KL, AEM, GOLD, WPM, NEM and GLD. So I'm in gold pretty heavy. However if we do get a pullback I will add. 
Look at MMM. That should give you a indication of what stocks will look like going forward. No guidance, and gloom on the outlook.
MO is a also a good place to hide. Tech too pricey but a good add on significant pullback.
The market just reacts to headlines.  We are smarter than that here for our core holdings at the minimum.  I have been shaking my head for four months as MMM keeps bouncing.  I still see fools hyping them on N-95 mask sales.  Sure they are selling millions but it's one of thousands of SKUs and it's very low margin because they aren't price gouging.  Great company long-term but I sure wouldn't chase them.  There are a lot of steady companies I'd like to buy but the market is delusional on near-term prospects.  HON is heavily dependent on commercial aviation.  I'll wait to add. Years away from any earnings growth at all most likely.  I'll be shocked if unemployment doesn't head back up some very soon.

The most boring div stocks with safe Divs will get more and more attractive as this proceeds.  The yield I get on my cash drops literally every few weeks.  Retirees that don't pay enough attention to account statements will be inclined to join us soon enough.  There really is no decent alternative with bond yields so low. I generate tons of income monthly, but it's complicated.
Added to MO, SHW, ABBV, OTIS and took a new position in CARR

Sold out of AOS, CAH, LEN and MCO . I did well on these names. Became a valuation thing for me.

I'm just doing some reshuffling for the next downturn. There are certain names I like in this environment.
(07-28-2020, 10:00 AM)divmenow Wrote: Added to MO, SHW, ABBV, OTIS and took a new position in CARR

Sold out of AOS, CAH, LEN and MCO . I did well on these names. Became a valuation thing for me.

I'm just doing some reshuffling for the next downturn. There are certain names I like in this environment.

I own a few CARR from the spinoff. I have actually been thinking of adding. With home sales doing well and this pandemic hit CARR will do very well with its HVAC division. I may add a few today.

SHW killing is as well. I might do by buy 2 share thingy  Big Grin

I bought some CMI, ITW and MRK oN Monday
(07-28-2020, 10:15 AM)stockguru Wrote:
(07-28-2020, 10:00 AM)divmenow Wrote: Added to MO, SHW, ABBV, OTIS and took a new position in CARR

I own a few CARR from the spinoff. I have actually been thinking of adding. With home sales doing well and this pandemic hit CARR will do very well with its HVAC division. I may add a few today.

I am losing patience with MRK so that's probably a good buy signal.  Smile  

Just sold a couple MO puts with a close to the money strike before next x-div.  I'll be in deeper soon enough.
(07-28-2020, 10:15 AM)stockguru Wrote:

Funny thing I would like to share:  My AC got busted recently and both my Furnace and AC were at the 21 yr mark (living on borrowed time) and so I decided to replace them both... Finally zeroed in on a Vendor who is an Authorized Carrier Installer and will be getting them both installed tomorrow... So Stockguru I think your instincts about CARR doing well in it HVAC division is accurate :-)

I should do some of that too.  I am mostly defensive now so I shouldn't get beaten up like March when my few specs were steamrolled.  Many of my stocks are also political targets when election debate gets going for real. 

I'm not sure what makes sense for "stay at home" stocks this time.  Big retail and the obvious tech choices are far from reasonably priced.  I'm sure not going to pile into AMZN and HD even if they pull back 10%.  The details of the next stimulus package is going to matter.

I guess I am asking for ideas.
(07-28-2020, 01:53 PM)fenders53 Wrote:

I should do some of that too.  I am mostly defensive now so I shouldn't get beaten up like March when my few specs were steamrolled.  Many of my stocks are also political targets when election debate gets going for real. 

I'm not sure what makes sense for "stay at home" stocks this time.  Big retail and the obvious tech choices are far from reasonably priced.  I'm sure not going to pile into AMZN and HD even if they pull back 10%.  The details of the next stimulus package is going to matter.

Oh I have lots of ideas that should work ... Its a long list lol

LOW, SMG, CARR, OTIS, MKC, DG, ATVI, DPZ, CHWY, BC, FND, PKI, ADP, LIN, KR, ZTS, CHD, MLM, DLR, HRL, SJM, FAST, PPG and SHW

A lot of these names have run. But i think they still have room left. Things will get worse come Oct-Nov and these names will out perform. Tech I didn't put in there like MSFT, APPL ect. 

I'm actually looking to buy CHWY soon. I like it long term and now you get a bit of a dip.
Added GD in my 8 year olds account. He has plenty of time to make money on this stock lol
Added a little ADP and gd. Anyone owns ADP here?
(07-29-2020, 09:30 AM)divmenow Wrote:
(07-28-2020, 01:53 PM)fenders53 Wrote:

Oh I have lots of ideas that should work ... Its a long list lol

LOW, SMG, CARR, OTIS, MKC, DG, ATVI, DPZ, CHWY, BC, FND, PKI, ADP, LIN, KR, ZTS, CHD, MLM, DLR, HRL, SJM, FAST, PPG and SHW

A lot of these names have run. But i think they still have room left. Things will get worse come Oct-Nov and these names will out perform. Tech I didn't put in there like MSFT, APPL ect. 

I'm actually looking to buy CHWY soon. I like it long term and now you get a bit of a dip.
Thanks.  I really am short on great new ideas right now.    I'll check out the ones I am not familiar with.  I did sell one of those a few days ago on valuation-weak dividend concerns.  Smile  I wish the market would just pull back some and get it over with.  That just makes it easier if you have some cash.  Smile
(07-29-2020, 09:41 AM)divmenow Wrote: Added GD in my 8 year olds account. He has plenty of time to make money on this stock lol

That will work out just fine.  He has time for more than a few new presidents and world conflicts. Smile