Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Big Tech
Ha, trying to fight the temptation to sell my QQQ too early.
(07-13-2020, 11:09 AM)fenders53 Wrote: Ha, trying to fight the temptation to sell my QQQ too early.

I've already trimmed AAPL and MSFT twice. Now trying to decide the price at which I'll trim them again. $450 for AAPL, $250 for MSFT?

I don't mind them running, it's a nice way to build up my other positions with the capital gains. It's all in an IRA, so no worries about taxes.
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
(07-13-2020, 11:16 AM)EricL Wrote:
(07-13-2020, 11:09 AM)fenders53 Wrote: Ha, trying to fight the temptation to sell my QQQ too early.

I've already trimmed AAPL and MSFT twice. Now trying to decide the price at which I'll trim them again. $450 for AAPL, $250 for MSFT?

I don't mind them running, it's a nice way to build up my other positions with the capital gains. It's all in an IRA, so no worries about taxes.
Going slow whether buying or selling seems to work more often than it doesn't.  I know it's just my personality but I hate to squander all my profits when I know a stock is years ahead of the fundamentals.

In 2020, it has been a pretty safe bet to short QQQ once the RSI pops above 70, and then go long again after it has a big drop day (like 3-4%). Am not trading it (or anything) at the moment, as we got cashy to buy a new place and pay for moving expenses.
(07-20-2020, 11:29 AM)Otter Wrote:

In 2020, it has been a pretty safe bet to short QQQ once the RSI pops above 70, and then go long again after it has a big drop day (like 3-4%). Am not trading it (or anything) at the moment, as we got cashy to buy a new place and pay for moving expenses.

I am not doing anything to excess right now.  I keep a little QQQ in the port just to say I am diversified.  When it dips (which has been rare in 2020), I sell a few out of the money puts and grab some quick cash I can use to add DGI shares with.  I've seen this movie before and I am not going to sit on individual tech shares that take 5-20 years to get back to even and pay zero or next to zero dividend.
AAPL and AMZN both crushed earnings, FB was good too.

All are up 4%+ after hours.

AAPL announced a 4:1 stock split as well.
(07-30-2020, 03:45 PM)EricL Wrote: AAPL and AMZN both crushed earnings, FB was good too.

This why MSFT is the better buy...

AAPL now that it’s splitting 4-1 will run as well. You buy today you get in right around $102 after split. Seems cheaper to me lol .. 

For all you longs.. Big T up a penny today Wink
(07-30-2020, 04:43 PM)divmenow Wrote:
(07-30-2020, 03:45 PM)EricL Wrote: AAPL and AMZN both crushed earnings, FB was good too.

This why MSFT is the better buy...

AAPL now that it’s splitting 4-1 will run as well. You buy today you get in right around $102 after split. Seems cheaper to me lol .. 

For all you longs.. Big T up a penny today Wink
Love these old school splits.  I have to buy now because people are real bad at math lol. It does make an option trade more affordable and that very well may be part of the plan.  I  finally made a few ballsy tech trades this week  It's good to be lucky.  My boring UTEs are kicking it too but that's off topic on this thread.

PS. I know that T comment was directed at me.  T not moving much is a win.  We'll do it again next week.  Smile
Just a ho-hum 10.5% move for AAPL today. Added another $170B in market cap...
I own AAPL, AMZN, NVDA, QCOM, CSCO and SHOP

I'll sink with all of them, not selling. Not buying either, not at this time.
(08-01-2020, 07:42 AM)rayray Wrote: I own AAPL, AMZN, NVDA, QCOM, CSCO and SHOP

Looks like a pretty good buy and hold tech stable to me.
(08-01-2020, 04:22 PM)fenders53 Wrote:
(08-01-2020, 07:42 AM)rayray Wrote: I own AAPL, AMZN, NVDA, QCOM, CSCO and SHOP

Looks like a pretty good buy and hold tech stable to me.

Yea, I try not to buy anything I'd feel uncomfortable owning for a very long time. SHOP, it wasn't a spec buy more so of a dollar cost average buy. I read about the company, seen some interviews with the CEO/founder, really liked him and did more research. The research told me the company was overvalued at 85, I was thinking okay I like the company so much but don't want to forget about it (it wasn't written about like it is now) so I bought 25 shares thinking I'd buy more at 30 or 35 or so...yea that never happened! 

I forgot.....I do own AVGO also