Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What Did You Buy Today?
Anyone buying ABBV or T. I own a bunch of T at $33 and looks.like a good buy here but I will be over-weight. Thoughts?
(03-23-2020, 12:16 PM)vbin Wrote: Anyone buying ABBV or T. I own a bunch of T at $33 and looks.like a good buy here but I will be over-weight. Thoughts?

T is safer than average at this price, in this market.  If they cut the Div in half (which I don't expect), you'll still be good enough.  I'd feel comfortable going overweight here.  If it happens to bounce a few bucks a week from now I'd also not feel bad trimming it some and not looking back.

Nothing wrong with ABBV either but I am fat in healthcare stocks so I can't. I'd have to trim and there are other pharma stocks just as attractive as ABBV at 65.
So I decided to do this today lol

Bought 2 shares each of what I feel with double and triple in 3 years.
LMT, NOC, BRK.B, SHW, AZO, ULTA and ISRG

Some of these name I have always wanted to own
(03-23-2020, 12:16 PM)vbin Wrote: Anyone buying ABBV or T. I own a bunch of T at $33 and looks.like a good buy here but I will be over-weight. Thoughts?

(03-23-2020, 12:39 PM)stockguru Wrote: So I decided to do this today lol

Bought 2 shares each of what I feel with double and triple in 3 years.
LMT, NOC, BRK.B, SHW, AZO, ULTA and ISRG

Some of these name I have always wanted to own

Only two shares?!!!   I thought you lectured us on that a couple weeks ago lol.  I'm just kidding, some of those are expensive stocks.   I like most of those picks.  I doubt you have to wait too long to make at least a few hundos if you decide not to keep them.  I have watched ULTA forever and never pulled the trigger.  Bet that one runs by Christmas.
Added to FLO as a limit order hit.
And also added to T.
So I'm beginning to see a pattern here. Some names have already bottomed and have rallied 25% or more off the lows. Stocks like OHI, WELL, WEN, DRI, CBRL, RHP, FDX, UPS, UAL, EAT, VTR and others. Unfortunately I only own the ones that continue to go down off that cliff lol. My point is once a stock gets too low it will rally. So be patient and continue to add to core holdings and good companies. They will come back with patience. But right now its hard to watch.

I added to JNJ, AWK, AEP, AAP and ETN

Took new position in HII, SYK and ABT

T is pretty decently priced here, then again so is a lot of other stuff.
I do buy a bit of T at these prices, it's great for bringing up the yield of your portfolio and quite frankly they should be doing fine even if the virus persist longer than we think. I wouldn't go full blown crazy buying it though, as the dividend growth has been (and will be) pretty much non-existent for a while.

You might also want to take a look at BCE. After yesterday's -10% it's starting to look good both from a price and yield perspective.
(03-20-2020, 05:29 PM)divmenow Wrote:
(03-20-2020, 03:35 PM)fenders53 Wrote:
(03-20-2020, 03:23 PM)divmenow Wrote: Who sold BP this week?? It may have been the only stock up today lol

I can’t believe some of the sell offs late in the day on some names. Crazy especially being triple witching Friday!!

I sold a lot of bp and put it all in McD and wen on the low which I sold near the high today.  Didn't do the math but may have worked out.
Great now you can go to MCD tonight and buy everyone a happy meal lol ?

(03-23-2020, 04:08 PM)kblake Wrote: So I'm beginning to see a pattern here. Some names have already bottomed and have rallied 25% or more off the lows.  Stocks like OHI, WELL, WEN, DRI, CBRL, RHP, FDX, UPS, UAL, EAT, VTR and others. Unfortunately I only own the ones that continue to go down off that cliff lol. My point is once a stock gets too low it will rally. So  be patient and continue to add to core holdings and good companies. They will come back with patience. But right now its hard to watch.

I added to JNJ, AWK, AEP, AAP and ETN

Took new position in HII, SYK and ABT

I wouldn't make a huge bet but some of the sectors are attempting to find a bottom. Even the hated sectors like oil and airlines will run out of sellers short of very significant bad news.  Industrials and other recession sensitive stocks show no sign of support yet.
Not that anybody needed to be told this, but hotel losses are going to be horrendous. Cruised the the Hilton parking lot. It's a small Hilton, but three cars in the parking lot. We'll assume all the help walked to work so maybe three rooms booked in a six story hotel. That's rough.

Saw on CNBC the VTR is paying out their Div. I don't own it but that's awesome news for those of you who do.
(03-23-2020, 08:38 PM)fenders53 Wrote: Not that anybody needed to be told this, but hotel losses are going to be horrendous. Cruised the the Hilton parking lot. It's a small Hilton, but three cars in the parking lot. We'll assume all the help walked to work so maybe three rooms booked in a six story hotel. That's rough.

Saw on CNBC the VTR is paying out their Div. I don't own it but that's awesome news for those of you who do.
Yeah it's very bad in hospitality. Got an email from the restaurant we hosted our wedding reception in. They are asking for donations or buy gift cards to support their 60+ staff and their health insurance. Once this is over, will be eating out more and spend more money on small businesses even if I might not need it. Just to help out the economy.

China did something great recently. They have requested all of the citizen to go out eat more and travel more within the country. They have created hashtags on social media for places they feel might need more oil for economy to recover and requested citizens to visit those areas. I hope and wish govt all arround the world do that. No better way to cure the economy than kick start at micro level.
at this point--i'm adding on the way down and i'll be adding on the way up