Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tips for surviving a correction
(03-12-2020, 06:42 PM)vbin Wrote: Japanese markets 7% down after opening. Tomorrow might be a red day again. We will test 2000? Keep your emergency funds safe people.

My last stand stash of cash I would truly like to invest is in a place I can't access same day.  There's a reason for that lol.  I don't think there is any chance of a green day tomorrow.  We are getting oversold, but all it will be is a dead cat bounce.  Maybe next week.  That would be way too early for meaningful good news so i'm not expecting much.  The straight down has to end soon obviously or we'll be at zero.  I expect it will be nothing but a trading range yet to be determined.  Machines and scared people taking their 401Ks to cash.  The drop was rapid so that has to be going on by now.
Great posts.

Ladies and Gentlemen, this is when we make our real gains.
At least a bit of good news...

New virus cases in China have slowed to single digits, and all 42 Apple AAPL stores there have reopened.
Wherever I am making money and some suckers, I am selling. Not scared but this is the moment to sit on cash. This is gonna get worse. Bears don't end in a day.
(03-13-2020, 08:58 AM)vbin Wrote: Wherever I am making money and some suckers, I am selling. Not scared but this is the moment to sit on cash. This is gonna get worse. Bears don't end in a day.

I did the same thing this pre-market. I sold all the stuff I bought the last few days. Saving the cash of better entries. I was only down 1% not a big deal. SOLD all my oil and still made a few bucks on those trades.

The market should have never been up 1200 points this morning. You have no sports, businesses are closing, no airlines flying ect ect. This is not going away in the next 30 days. Just imagine all the loses that are going to take place across the board. I may be able to buy DAL under $20 and APPL under $200, V at $100. There is no rush to buy anything yet. I made the mistake of buying too soon but it didn't cost me much lol. I'm walking away and coming back in 2 weeks  Big Grin No one can time the market, we know that. But buying now is not a good idea. CASH IS KING !!
In the end if you are actually an investor and not just a gambler it's all a matter of discounting future corporate profits. How much was the total market worth six months ago? How much was it worth yesterday? Today? What's the US market worth if 3 million people die? What if it's only 1000? I agree the market should not have been up 1200 this AM. But maybe it went down 1000 too much earlier this week? Who knows? Today may be a wonderful time to go all in if you are actually an investor. Again, who knows?

You are right kblake, we can't time the market. I happen to agree there is likely no harm in cashing out for two weeks. Or maybe even much longer. It's risky if you get in the habit of cashing out out I admit it seems safe enough right now. There will be too much anxiety and the market runs on the collective emotions of all who invest.

If you made money trading oil you are nimble because the majors are all sitting 1% off 15 year lows. How did you pull off a profit on the OXY you bought prior to this week before it crashed? (Or did I misunderstand on the main thread?)
(03-13-2020, 09:06 AM)kblake Wrote:
(03-13-2020, 08:58 AM)vbin Wrote: Wherever I am making money and some suckers, I am selling. Not scared but this is the moment to sit on cash. This is gonna get worse. Bears don't end in a day.

I did the same thing this pre-market. I sold all the stuff I bought the last few days. Saving the cash of better entries. I was only down 1% not a big deal. SOLD all my oil and still made a few bucks on those trades.

The market should have never been up 1200 points this morning. You have no sports, businesses are closing, no airlines flying ect ect. This is not going away in the next 30 days. Just imagine all the loses that are going to take place across the board. I may be able to buy DAL under $20 and APPL under $200, V at $100. There is no rush to buy anything yet. I made the mistake of buying too soon but it didn't cost me much lol. I'm walking away and coming back in 2 weeks  Big Grin No one can time the market, we know that. But buying now is not a good idea. CASH IS KING !!
Yeah, I closed a few suckers I started few weeks back, including DFS. If it continues I will pickup at lower prices, specifically if further interest cut comes.
(03-13-2020, 05:37 AM)divmenow Wrote: At least a bit of good news...

New virus cases in China have slowed to single digits, and all 42 Apple AAPL stores there have reopened.

That is good news, and all things being equal it probably puts an approximate time range on what we will deal with here.
(03-13-2020, 10:02 AM)fenders53 Wrote:

That is good news, and all things being equal it probably puts an approximate time range on what we will deal with here.
Agree. You would hope no more than 90 days. But you can’t put a time on it. No one can predict that lol. But what I do know with all the sport’s being canceled and flights that going to put us in a lot trouble going forward. I just read Brazil President Jair Bolsonaro tests positive for coronavirus. That’s not good either. 
(03-13-2020, 10:07 AM)divmenow Wrote:

Agree. You would hope no more than 90 days. But you can’t put a time on it. No one can predict that lol. But what I do know with all the sport’s being canceled and flights that going to put us in a lot trouble going forward. I just read Brazil President Jair Bolsonaro tests positive for coronavirus. That’s not good either. 

I have a hotel and tickets for the Minnesota Twins home weekend opener that is now cancelled.  This is worse than a 1000pt down day for me lol.    Shy

Yeah, except we seem to be bungling the national response here terribly so far, which could mean we're hit harder and longer...
(03-13-2020, 10:17 AM)Kerim Wrote:

Yeah, except we seem to be bungling the national response here terribly so far, which could mean we're hit harder and longer...
Seems clear we squandered some time.  We had the advantage of not having to go first.