Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What Did You Buy Today?
I also only own LMT, bought a small position last year and very small position in GD. Had bought RTN and few others after much research but sold them after some decent run. Only LMT and GD remaining. Should have loaded heavily. LMT is on a good run and ts still not expensive.
(02-14-2020, 01:50 AM)vbin Wrote: I also only own LMT, bought a small position last  year and very small position in GD. Had bought RTN and few others after much research but sold them after some decent run. Only LMT and GD remaining. Should have loaded heavily. LMT is on a good run and ts still not expensive.

LMT's new enormous long-term contracts make it nearly impossible to screw this up. I should have learned when I was in the military. When my career started a new Hummer was $25K.  When I retired, just the LHX (Harris) SINCGARS radio in most every Hummer cost about $25K.  The equipment in good, but OMG is it lucrative.  After the initial fielding that lasts 5 years, they make money for the next 10-20 years providing system upgrades.  The real money is in combat aircraft, missiles and air defense.
(02-13-2020, 08:12 PM)fenders53 Wrote: Started a small position in RTN and LHX today.

Funnily enough, these are my two picks from the sector. Great minds think alike? Fools seldom differ?

RTN was actually my first stock purchase from the US markets and it has remained as the largest position in my portfolio ever since that day. My LHX holding is much smaller but I'm playing catch up by adding to LHX once in a while.
(02-14-2020, 06:26 AM)crimsonghost747 Wrote:
(02-13-2020, 08:12 PM)fenders53 Wrote: Started a small position in RTN and LHX today.

Funnily enough, these are my two picks from the sector. Great minds think alike? Fools seldom differ?

RTN was actually my first stock purchase from the US markets and it has remained as the largest position in my portfolio ever since that day. My LHX holding is much smaller but I'm playing catch up by adding to LHX once in a while.
These are about as safe as an industrial is going to get in this market.  Some growth is assured with our recent defense budgets.  The pendulum will swing someday of course because defense spending is currently obscene, but all the defense majors are locked into contracts that will keep the lights on for a long time.  I wasn't really excited about the RTN/UTX merger as it might make them too big for significant growth eventually, but the diversification in commercial aviation will be a good thing after the Boeing mess sorts itself out.

For better or worse, my current intention is to get myself a little overweight defense if they don't run away from me.  If I am fortunate enough to get some gains, I'll move some to CAT and MMM later if they continue to struggle.  HON doesn't look too bad long-term either.  I'm very underweight industrials, and a little voice tells me I'll find myself down 10% if I wade into MMM and CAT too fast.  CAT was about 115 in OCT and I am kicking myself.  Sold a couple puts and made chump change.
I'm not really happy with the UTX merger either. Firstly, I'm not too sure if UTX can provide the same amount of growth that RTN has provided. Secondly, RTN has a spectacular balance sheet, UTX not so much. (from what I recall)

I would have preferred to keep RTN as a separate company but I'm quite happy to hold the future Raytheon Technologies too.
(02-14-2020, 09:52 AM)crimsonghost747 Wrote: I'm not really happy with the UTX merger either. Firstly, I'm not too sure if UTX can provide the same amount of growth that RTN has provided. Secondly, RTN has a spectacular balance sheet, UTX not so much. (from what I recall)

I would have preferred to keep RTN as a separate company but I'm quite happy to hold the future Raytheon Technologies too.

I love UTX and am looking forward to the merger. Plus owning UTX also gets you shares in the new companies Ottis and cattier. They are 1 share each for every UTX share you own. So I see lots of value here. I'm not worried about the merger at all. In fact I think its a very good match. I actually added to UTX today. If yiou dont like the merger sell your shares and buy more LMT with it  Big Grin

I added to UTX and took new positions in AEM and NUE. I know no one likes Gold but this is a company I have been following for a while now. They just raised the dividend to .20 so its one of the few golds that pays a dividend. Plus its on sale today down $8 lol. With NUE is just one of those plays you hold and hope lol
LMT has been the second best performer in my portfolio since I bought it in early 2013.

Just keeps plugging along with 10% annual growth!
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
(10-09-2019, 08:15 AM)stockguru Wrote: GILD looking cheap here. Yield over 4% now. Anyone adding?

(02-14-2020, 10:49 AM)kblake Wrote:
(02-14-2020, 09:52 AM)crimsonghost747 Wrote: I'm not really happy with the UTX merger either. Firstly, I'm not too sure if UTX can provide the same amount of growth that RTN has provided. Secondly, RTN has a spectacular balance sheet, UTX not so much. (from what I recall)

I love UTX and am looking forward to the merger. Plus owning UTX also gets you shares in the new companies Ottis and cattier. They are 1 share each for every UTX share you own. So I see lots of value here. I'm not worried about the merger at all. In fact I think its a very good match. I actually added to UTX today. If yiou dont like the merger sell your shares and buy more LMT with it  Big Grin

I added to UTX and took new positions in AEM and NUE. I know no one likes Gold but this is a company I have been following for a while now. They just raised the dividend to .20 so its one of the few golds that pays a dividend. Plus its on sale today down $8 lol. With NUE is just one of those plays you hold and hope lol

I think the spin offs happen per merger.
Added more BEP, GILD and WBA
Added partial positions to WMT, TEVA, MSFT, INTC, and AAPL today.  Long 72 stocks in this portfolio and trading 10-20 stocks weekly.
Nibbled some RTN today, and a share or two of MMM. Going very slow on any industrial. Added some MRK and MDT as well.
Aded UTX and took a new position in ETN. To me ETN is still very undervalued.

And Utilities are really getting over valued. I trimmed my positions. I only own NEE and D at this moment and wont add any new money until they correct. I know Eric just did a story on this sector.