Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What Did You Buy Today?
Added to OZK this morning, and put some pooled dividends into SKT
Today's watchlist, six to choose from, help me decide on just one...

XOM, RDS.b, BP, ABBV, HTBK, CSCO
(08-15-2019, 09:46 AM)DividendGarden Wrote: Today's watchlist, six to choose from, help me decide on just one...

None of the ones you have listed lol

They all look like good buys but the market is still trading at almost 18x next years earnings. Plus you have to worry about yield curve and tariffs. Oil will become a buy at some point but I still think its too early. XOM is expensive still when you compare it to BP and CVX.

If I had to pick one would choose ABBV. Only because I think it will hold up over the other names and its pipeline had a lot of promise going forward. 

CSCO I do like but I will wait for 3% to get in.
(08-15-2019, 09:52 AM)divmenow Wrote:
(08-15-2019, 09:46 AM)DividendGarden Wrote: Today's watchlist, six to choose from, help me decide on just one...

They all look like good buys but the market is still trading at almost 18x next years earnings. Plus you have to worry about yield curve and tariffs. Oil will become a buy at some point but I still think its too early. XOM is expensive still when you compare it to BP and CVX.

If I had to pick one would choose ABBV. Only because I think it will hold up over the other names and its pipeline had a lot of promise going forward. 

Thanks, DivMeNow.  I don't want to buy/sell individual stocks based on what the overall market's P/E is, yield curve, tariffs, etc any macro-related stuff, really.  I buy individual companies and plan to hold them forever, so I'm trying to focus on business models, FCF generation, etc but nothing external.  Maybe I'm crazy though.  CSCO is at 2.96% yield, so basically there.  Also looking at PKBK but it hasn't really pulled back.
(08-15-2019, 09:59 AM)DividendGarden Wrote:
(08-15-2019, 09:52 AM)divmenow Wrote:

Thanks, DivMeNow.  I don't want to buy/sell individual stocks based on what the overall market's P/E is, yield curve, tariffs, etc any macro-related stuff, really.  I buy individual companies and plan to hold them forever, so I'm trying to focus on business models, FCF generation, etc but nothing external.  Maybe I'm crazy though.  CSCO is at 2.96% yield, so basically there.  Also looking at PKBK but it hasn't really pulled back.
I am watching CSCO but I rarely buy the first day a stock gets hit.  When I do I usually regret it within 48HRs.  I don't see much risk of a big bounce.  Market is highly likely to remain skittish for at least a little while longer.  ABBV is uninspiring for now.  Oil will go lower. I can think of no short-term scenario that launches it short of a military strike.  All that said I have no problem with any of your ideas.
For what it is worth Dividendgarden, that is basically my strategy. I do very little selling and worry almost none about these macro moves. For me it is about the ability of a company to pay and raise the dividend over the long term.
(08-15-2019, 10:30 AM)Ron Ricco Wrote: For what it is worth Dividendgarden, that is basically my strategy. I do very little selling and worry almost none about these macro moves. For me it is about the ability of a company to  pay and raise the dividend over the long term.

That needs to be a primary consideration when buying any high dividend stock, whether you plan to own it 30 years or 30 weeks.  Let oil drop to $40 and watch how fast every oil company's ability to pay a 5% dividend becomes the primary focus.  Suddenly nothing else matters.  Every "bad" dividend growth stock  I own, or have owned, is or was under fire for this.
In my opinion whatever you buy, keep enough powder for later, high probability for things to get ugly post 2020 and as others mentioned high probability for oil to drop further, I bought bunch in XOM based on buy and hold strategy, but I could have got it $3-$4 cheaper per stock. That can make a difference in long run. We never know if market is going to go up or down but atleast now I knew it aswll that there is a good probability that oil will fall further and conditions are volatile.
(08-15-2019, 11:28 AM)vbin Wrote: keep enough powder for later

Yup. Been prioritizing putting funds into the "high yield" savings accounts lately, rather than stock purchases. Most of my purchases recently have been smaller, in my commission-free brokerage account.
Added to BMY with my mid-month purchase.
Wish we had a "like button" here. Absolutely keep some dry powder! It makes a recession sooo much more tolerable. I will keep harping on this until you're all sick of hearing it. It's not really for the regular posters here, but there are plenty of forum lurkers that have never seen the bear due to the very long bull run. You can preach long-term focus all you like. It's just not fun when your new $10K portfolio turns into $4K and it takes years to get back to even.
(08-15-2019, 11:28 AM)vbin Wrote: In my opinion whatever you buy, keep enough powder for later, high probability for things to get ugly post 2020 and as others mentioned high probability for oil to drop further, I bought bunch in XOM based on buy and hold strategy, but I could have got it $3-$4 cheaper per stock. That can make a difference in long run. We never know if market is going to go up or down but atleast now I knew it aswll that there is a good probability that oil will fall further and conditions are volatile.
Of course it makes a huge difference if we can enter all our stocks $3-4 cheaper.  That implies we can time the macro market and that requires some luck.  I bought XOM about $8 ago so I'm not so smart, but I am OK with holding it, dividends and covered calls.  I'd be a helluva lot happier if I started doing that today with a better entry.  I win some I lose some.  Until a month ago I thought there would be a trade deal.  

Easier to type than actually do, but when the market is skittish for good reason, I try to evaluate the cost of waiting when a stock is falling.  Is it more likely to trend downward than it is to launch higher so fast I can't get in next week?  Most of the stocks on my watch list are likely to go sideways at best.  A one day stock drop you can't miss out on is actually pretty rare.  Being patient is tough but most sectors have a great deal of uncertainty right now.  We'll find some true bargains if things don't dramatically improve.   

It's amazing how the market can easily move 2-3% in a day, on news that can be easily reversed tomorrow with a not so well thought out comment from a world leader or the FED.