Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What Did You Buy Today?
(08-05-2019, 02:42 PM)divmenow Wrote: Buy quality on days like this. I added to MSFT, MA, and PEP. Not much just a little. Don't buy all at once.
That's good advice.  We've been talking about over priced equities for some time now because it's true.  Don't talk yourself into thinking some high flyer that pulled back 15% is somehow a deal you need to rush into.  

I did everything I could to make this sting less.  I've been selling small amounts every week or two for quite some time.  Almost all my new purchases have been fairly defensive like pharma, Utes and oil.  Sold covered calls calls against 26 of 27 positions.  They will expire worthless and I'll do it again. All that and I still "lost" a fair amount of money the past few weeks.  

Buffet's right, "Don't lose money" is rule #1.  He also says to stay invested and don't time the market.  He's a very confusing fellow lol.   Smile
(08-05-2019, 03:29 PM)vbin Wrote: Trump is going to Sattle with Chinese in some way around elections , he will try to pull out of Afghanistan around that time too. After that this drama might continue again. Trump is in for the second term and markets might go for a spin after that is what I think. But as long as we hold real quality stocks bougt at not overpriced eveluations. Things will be fine in the end.

Yup.  He's about to get a lesson in trying to accomplish too much too fast against a powerful Communist economy.  I really hoped he would settle for some small positive steps now, and an agreement we are going to fix more problems annually.  If he loses his cool and tries to "win" soon we will see some real pain.  He wants to be re-elected and clearly considers the stock market his report card.  That will save us.  Just don't ask me when.   If he thinks the FED can save him he is mistaken.  They can't nor should they.  We need to save rate drops for a real recession.  I am really really hoping he doesn't elevate tariff %s.  It;s never worked before.  He isn't special in this regard.   

I agree with Trump's desire to address this.  I was absolutely certain it would not go down like he thought.
From the limited perspective of the stock market (not taking into account all of the other negative effects, such as layoffs), pre-recession periods are essentially Prime Day for stocks. Get quality stuff at a value that you are happy with. You will never buy in at the absolute bottom. People who bought at the pre-2008 peak were in pretty good shape a decade after the worst recession since 1929. Aristocrats with solid balance sheets are likely to keep increasing their dividends year-on-year. The sky isn't falling, but a sale might be in the works.
Added to MO and CM
Added rds.b and ENDP.

I am invested very small % in endo and decent % in TEVA. Both are beaten down due to law suites. I am optimistic that lawsuits will go away eventually or sattle. I don't think the purpose of lawsuits is to bankrupt these companies and the fear is already priced in.
While I'm pretty much a fan of buying them in any situation, some of the Canadian banks are really starting to look interesting right now.

edit: added to CM.to
added to MO and ADM
Put some pooled dividends into SKT.
Still trying to remain patient with most of my cash. Added one share of AMZN this AM. My only non-dividend stock, and the only stock I intentionally swing trade. I'd add a little more under 1700 if it goes there.
(08-07-2019, 12:52 AM)rayray Wrote: added to MO and ADM
It's time to put AG back on my watch list.  Thanks for the reminder on ADM.
(08-07-2019, 03:38 PM)fenders53 Wrote:
(08-07-2019, 12:52 AM)rayray Wrote: added to MO and ADM
It's time to put AG back on my watch list.  Thanks for the reminder on ADM.

NP

ADM is one of those really boring like watching paint dry stocks! I wrestle with it at times and then I'm like ok why not...been waiting for it to drop under 39 for a while!
Added XOM