Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
speculative stocks
What speculative stock do you own at the moment? I guess on this forum anything with a high degree of risk and  a small or non-existent dividend would make the cut.

I have a couple of European ones.
Sensys Gatso  (Sweden)
Ryanair (Ireland)

I guess UBNT might fit the criteria too, though I very much consider it a part of my retirement portfolio and the plan is to hold for long term.
I don't own anything that fits the bill, but UVXY is capable of giving you a helluva ride (to the upside or the down). If you think the market is going to have another December crash (or worse) in the immediate future, it would be a solid speculative play on increased volatility. If the market stays calm and upwards, thanks to Fed dovishness, you'll lose pretty much your entire investment thanks to contango.
Though I have in the past, I don't currently own anything that meets your criteria. I thought RQI and ARCC might make me nervous, but they just go up in price every day and pay loan shark dividends. Sadly, I am going to call KHC my riskiest stock at the moment. I sure never planned it that way. Before that KMI and SDRL, but I dumped them. When the market stops going straight up I'll look for a new spec play. For it to be truly speculative, it's required you don't don't fully understand the business they are supposedly in. Smile
A while back I bought a little SHOP, not much, 25 shares just to keep tabs on it and kind of hope it would crash into the teens. Well, that never happened! So here I am--holding.

Cause as ya fellas kind of know--I try not to sell lol.
(03-18-2019, 05:40 AM)rayray Wrote: A while back I bought a little SHOP, not much, 25 shares just to keep tabs on it and kind of hope it would crash into the teens. Well, that never happened! So here I am--holding.

LOL, just make yourself a special investing rule......  

"All lotto tickets shall be cashed in 25 years if it's just not working out.)  Smile
I am holding ACB for the past couple of months.

BLTN
(03-18-2019, 08:51 AM)fenders53 Wrote:
(03-18-2019, 05:40 AM)rayray Wrote: A while back I bought a little SHOP, not much, 25 shares just to keep tabs on it and kind of hope it would crash into the teens. Well, that never happened! So here I am--holding.

LOL, just make yourself a special in vesting investing rule......  

"All lotto tickets shall be cashed in 25 years if it's just not working out.)  Smile

lol lol Smile Smile Smile

I get ya--I just have this--I cannot explain it--I can't hit the sell button anymore lol
(03-18-2019, 09:20 PM)BLTN Wrote: I am holding ACB for the past couple of months.

BLTN

That has been a very profitable one recently! Well done.
And certainly fills the criteria for a massively speculative stock! I've traded in and out of it but I don't feel like holding it long term.
(03-15-2019, 10:54 AM)Otter Wrote: I don't own anything that fits the bill, but UVXY is capable of giving you a helluva ride (to the upside or the down). If you think the market is going to have another December crash (or worse) in the immediate future, it would be a solid speculative play on increased volatility. If the market stays calm and upwards, thanks to Fed dovishness, you'll lose pretty much your entire investment thanks to contango.

Would be a heckuva day to have owned UVXY. 17.44% gain today with all the volatility.
Hmmm. I always look askance at the NLY in my portfolio. Bought it for the yield, but committed the sin of buying something I don't understand at all. I'm sure I was convinced by some article on a weak willpower day or something. Paid $16 something per share, held through the dividend cut, and it sits at about $10 now. With dividends, I am ahead, but only barely, and way less so than if I had bought something more sensible. But I never actually sell it. It is 1.5 percent of my portfolio by value, but it provides about 5 percent of my total dividends.
All the guys on the option thread except for me are going long TSLA soon. They should bring it on over here. Smile
(03-15-2019, 10:54 AM)Otter Wrote: I don't own anything that fits the bill, but UVXY is capable of giving you a helluva ride (to the upside or the down). If you think the market is going to have another December crash (or worse) in the immediate future, it would be a solid speculative play on increased volatility. If the market stays calm and upwards, thanks to Fed dovishness, you'll lose pretty much your entire investment thanks to contango.

I used to trade XIV very well until it imploded, wasn't in it yet that time. I would wait for backwardation and for VIX to go into contango. Several 100s% returns.

Have not found a suitable replacement to XIV. Anyone?