Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What Did You Buy Today?
(10-30-2018, 11:45 AM)Binary Wrote: Opened ETN today

Nice choice. Added some ETN today. Yield approaching historical highs.
Also opened a position in UL today.
(10-31-2018, 09:06 AM)Otter Wrote: Also opened a position in UL today.
Took a new position in QCOM
Bought some OTTR today.
Added to OXY, also. Tempted to save cash for a while. I feel like the overall market is going to come down. I don't want to get into "timing the market", but it's tempting me. Anyone else struggle with that?
ABBV getting killed. Whats going on here. By the looks of the chart it may be headed to $69. God I hope I'm wrong.

Anyway added to UPS and SWK
(10-31-2018, 10:01 AM)DividendGarden Wrote: Added to OXY, also.  Tempted to save cash for a while.  I feel like the overall market is going to come down.  I don't want to get into "timing the market", but it's tempting me.  Anyone else struggle with that?

Yes, but am of the opinion that there is always value somewhere. There are unloved stocks or sectors in just about every bull market. I do keep an emergency fund, but am not overly concerned with having a large cash stockpile sitting nearby for a big 2008-style crash. That scale of market draw-down is exceedingly rare, and statistically time in the market wins out over trying to time it. 

I just try to find stocks that fit my valuation criteria at the time of purchase, and then let them work for me. Sometimes the price goes up after I buy, sometimes down, but the general trend for dividends has been upwards for my portfolio. I try to ignore share price after a purchase, unless I am considering purchasing more shares. 

I recall it being a lot harder to find decently-valued DGI stocks at the end of 2017 than at present. Some pretty decent prices out there on consumer staples stocks, which were high-flyers valuation-wise for most of 2017. They will also be relatively defensive in the next downturn, whenever that may be.
(10-31-2018, 10:17 AM)divmenow Wrote: ABBV getting killed. Whats going on here. By the looks of the chart it may be headed to $69. God I hope I'm wrong.

Anyway added to UPS and SWK

Have you been checking ABBV news?  I don't mean that to sound condescending but it's been a real bad month for ABBV. They got caught offering kickbacks to encourage prescriptions for their drugs.  Now they are dealing with regulatory agencies and shareholder lawsuits are being filed top recover losses due to their illegal practices.  They are also a one trick pony with a single blockbuster drug with patent expiration approaching that they greatly depend on.  May be a rough ride for awhile.
I know exactly why AABV is going down yes. I sold most of my shares at $115 but kept some. Wish I sold it all lol. One trick pony indeed.

On another note: Anyone own TD Bank? Looks like a great entry here. Thinking of buying today!
(10-31-2018, 10:33 AM)divmenow Wrote: I know exactly why AABV is going down yes. I sold most of my shares at $115 but kept some. Wish I sold it all lol. One trick pony indeed.

On another note: Anyone own TD Bank? Looks like a great entry here. Thinking of buying today!

Yes to TD. Bought it and RY December of last year. TD has been the better performer on share price, and is down about 0.5% below my purchase price, whereas RY is about 7.8% below where I bought it.
(10-31-2018, 10:33 AM)divmenow Wrote: I know exactly why AABV is going down yes. I sold most of my shares at $115 but kept some. Wish I sold it all lol. One trick pony indeed.

Sorry about that.  Your previous post sounded like a real question.  I was was going to tell you to "Google that"  Smile  Lawsuits filed today. Attorneys are all over it when a company does something shady and the stock clearly drops as a result of illegal activity. Shareholders get enough settlement money to buy a cheeseburger and lawyers get rich.

Almost all the banks look good at current prices.  It's just going to require patience to wait for the market to love them.  Almost every financial stock I research looks at least a little too cheap.  I am upside down in some BAC that looks like a screaming buy on any down trading day.
Added to PSX. Long term holding that I've owned since spun off from COP.