Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What Did You Buy Today?
(10-26-2018, 07:27 AM)fenders53 Wrote: Dragon

I just turned 56 this week.  I am at your planned retirement age, and have been semi-retired for a few years.  My portfolio is not online, and I am transitioning from my old employer retirement account to Vanguard  I caught a break and was in cash.  I missed a lot of the recent market drop.  I have a lot of my equity money in SP 500 and small caps.  I also have a half dozen ETFs.  I don;t need total diversification among my stocks.  I enter individual stocks selling puts, so it takes time to be forced into purchases while I make some income.  I DO care a lot about my entry point because I probably don't have 30 years to wait.  I don't want to pay $150 for BABA and watch it drop to $100 for a year because I could have purchased more share.  Here is where I would like to end up soon.

Core positions all at 3-5% of total port- JNJ,ABT,AMZN,APPL,HD, Utilities (I really like utilities)  XEL AEP and SO, and T which may or may not remain a core.    

I am in a similar stage as Fenders. Entry price is important for everyone. If I had to do it all over again, it would be done this way.

Select 20 top quality dividend payers from Fish list. Split my available funds into 20 portions. Wait for a name to be 20% below a recent or all time high and buy with 1 portion of the money. Hold another portion for when/if it drops another 20% from your entry. Seldom would you get the chance to have a second bite. This means you never had a 20% drawdown from your entry. The ones that do give you a 2nd bite have even less heat because you averaged down. Stick to quality names and try to sprinkle your $ over 15 top companies. One doesn't need many home runs to be very,very well off.

Use this to help you stay the course.

https://www.stocksplithistory.com/?symbol=hd

Good luck to all.
(10-27-2018, 08:41 PM)dizzy9479 Wrote: Young DGI here -- do we think that T's yield is safe?  It's already 10% of my portfolio (130 shares) -- is it worth picking up some more?  Or should I diversify into VZ?  I also have IBM -- rough week, hahaha

Binary is correct that VZ is NOT diversification against T.  It is however good risk management IMO if you like the sector.  VZ is executing a business plan like they actually know what they are doing. T has an outrageous dividend because they are struggling through acquisitions.  I do think T dividend is OK, but let them stumble much more and watch the market get scared. It would be appropriate for an company with their debt level. I tend to split my investment and hold two stocks in a sectors.  i.e. JNJ and ABT, CVX and XOM,  two retail, two financials etc.  When one of the stocks implodes it starts looking like a brilliant idea.  If that never happens to you then please starting PMing your stock picks to me.  Smile
Anyone owns CL? Why is this stock on downtrend?
Check recent news. Poor earnings report. Growth is weak like most consumer non-durables the past few years. A long time since I owned it but growth has been uninspiring for a long time.
Everything but utilities are in the toilet. Doesn't matter if you beat earnings or not. Trump has killed this market because of tariffs. Just look at the 52 week low list. I would be very catoius of I owned APPL this week heading into earnings. We already had AMZN and GOOG warn last week. Mine as well put all my money in Bonds and Utilities.
Added LMT, NVDA, XOM, FB. Sold O, KR(had little position in KR and too many stocks in portfolio)
vbin, what is your reason for selling O? Is the reason you sold KR is just because you wanted to reduce the number of your holdings?
(10-30-2018, 08:10 AM)ChadR Wrote: vbin, what is your reason for selling O? Is the reason you sold KR is just because you wanted to reduce the number of your holdings?

O is close to 52 week high and looking at it from valuation prospective I believe this is a good price for my investment. I got in ~$50. I will reconsider adding it if it comes close to $50. KR was a very small position. Sold it to reduce number of holdings and have some cash.
Opened ETN today
Bought some V and LUV today!
I usually buy and hold, but sold GE today

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Bought some LOW on Monday and some HON today. Wanted to grab some T too at around 29 but looks like I missed it this time.