Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Want to change portfolio, need opinions
Thank you for the warm welcome and all for the replies!

Right now, my current sectors are:
24.4% Consumer Staples
15.1% Financials
9.6% Consumer Discretionary
14.2% Technology
9.0% Utilities
12.2% Energy
9.5% Healthcare
6.1% Industrials

I am pretty close to my goals, I wasn't sure if I was overweight in one sector or not.
Kerim, I guess you're right. I try to adjust my portfolio about once a year. I have been investing for a while and went with DGI at the end of last summer and completely rebalanced for that. I have been picking up stocks like CVX and ABBV when they had their corrections a few months ago. One big reason I am thinking of selling some is because I'm margined. I was playing the margin game for a while during Apple's big climb and it paid off well. I kept some of that margin during the accumulation phase of margin investing. However, I have reached a point I don't want to be margined anymore, especially with QE ending and interest rates going to climb.

Earth, I owned SBUX until recently actually. That was one of the first to go when trying to downsize my margin. I had great capital gains on that as well as I bought it about a year and a half ago in the low 50s. I also sold LEG and IBM. LEG's DGR was too low for me. You make good points about VZ and T. Their DGR is below that of inflation. I may keep them for another year or so until inflation starts picking back up while I'm still in the accumulation phase. As for the industrials, I guess I haven't done enough research on them yet to find another one I like. With MerrilEdge, is that $25k in assets or an initial deposit? I do have over $25k in my DGI account.

One problem I run into is I want to own a ton of companies, but then it spreads me out too much. With self-capping at 30 equities and adding OHI soon, I will have room for just one more. I guess I'll need to look into an industrial if I can find one I like.

Also, do you guys typically have equal weighting of stocks in sectors? (ie, 5 stocks in financial all at 3%, or do you break it up with one at 4%, one at 2%, etc?)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Want to change portfolio, need opinions - by Turvok - 08-10-2014, 12:37 PM