Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Love This Dividend Investing Thingie
Performance over a small slice of time can be quite misleading, though I would expect the increasing dividend stream of a portfolio of DG stocks to continue over time.

I've not tracked long term performance of our modest stock portfolio but do have the following info. Spring of 2009 the NAV was $100k. 0ver the past three years we have taken $36,400in distributions and currently the NAV sits at $180k Those numbers look pretty impressive to me, yet what do they not show. Prior to the melt down in 2007 our portfolio hit a high NAV of just under $180k. So the portfolio has generated a modest 20% in the 2009-2014 period, certainly nothing to write home about. We were fully invested during the 2008/2009 meltdown and the portfolio dropped 44% of its value. It took until sometime in 2011 just to get back to the previous high. I'll try my best not to get caught fully deployed in a collapsing market again! That is why I've incorporated so many shorter term strategies and is why I shun DG types of stocks except when their yields are in the historically high range.

Note: dollar values changed to only represent ratios involved, so as not to provide too much personal data on line.
Alex

Messages In This Thread
RE: I Love This Dividend Investing Thingie - by hendi_alex - 03-06-2014, 08:23 AM