Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If I am wrong tell me..
Got into a discussion with a member on another board. The individual seemed to be disparaging another investor(s) on that board and ended his comment with -

"they seem to be happy not making any money with stocks like T as long as they get a dividend"

To which I responded -

I think it depends on where you are in your investment "career".I have a family member who worked tel-co field for years is and is now 79.. She worked for Southwestern Bell Corp which became SBC communications which swallowed up Southern NE Telephone and eventually acquired AT&T. Obviously she is no longer in any accumulation Phase, and Mostly out of the market now. She transitioned to an annuity a number of years ago, However during her working career she accumulated over 12,000 ++ shares of AT&T. I asked her if she was going to sell her shares, and she said why? For her- in her later years; she has been perfectly content just leaving the shares alone, drawing her company pension, SS, and AT&T divi's. Not everything is Black and white. - Scoot

To which I received the following retort - 
What worked in yester year may not work in the future. Actually will most likely not work as well.Hey I knew a guy who back in 1972 who ..... and ....Yet another guy in 2002 who ...And the that other dude in 2012 who ....If you think T is the answer load up. And I sincerely wish anyone the best if that is their decision. My Dad is 91. His portfolio is not set up for someone in their 90's. It is set up for appreciation and step up of the cost basis upon his passing.

So I'm Thinking to myself, While true no one knows the future  - Why would someone who is 91 still be investing in Growth Stocks?
If a recession happens at 91 years of age, the individual investor would not have time (Literally) to possibly recover their losses.

Which brings me to the bigger question??.
At what point should an individual investor think about exiting the market? and if not entirely exiting , should age not be an important determinate factor as to when an investor should begin to move into more capital preservation lower risk type securities not only for themselves but for their potential heirs?.

I myself have my exit plan already determined for a certain point in the future.

-  Scoot

Messages In This Thread
If I am wrong tell me.. - by Scooterd - 12-28-2021, 09:25 AM
RE: If I am wrong tell me.. - by ken-do-nim - 12-28-2021, 10:19 AM
RE: If I am wrong tell me.. - by cemanuel - 12-28-2021, 10:26 AM
RE: If I am wrong tell me.. - by Scooterd - 12-29-2021, 10:46 AM
RE: If I am wrong tell me.. - by fenders53 - 12-28-2021, 10:56 AM
RE: If I am wrong tell me.. - by Scooterd - 12-28-2021, 11:04 AM
RE: If I am wrong tell me.. - by fenders53 - 12-28-2021, 11:09 AM
RE: If I am wrong tell me.. - by Forticus - 12-29-2021, 09:47 AM