Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New US Retirement Account Laws
(04-07-2016, 06:34 PM)Caversham Wrote: However, my understanding is still this:  Some brokerages (Schwab, Fidelty, Scottrade, E*Trade, etc) will begin charging annual fees as opposed to commissions.  If my brokerage does this, then I will need to move my IRA.   Is this not correct?

Did they tell you that? The competition is fierce for brokerage customers. I can assume they might for managed accounts if they can make more money from a flat fee rather than commissions but none of it is set in stone until they publish their fee schedule. I know TD Ameritrade has really been pushing their managed/advisory accounts for a while.

On the flip side, this regulation has been in the proposed stage for several years and it will take some time to implement so it's not like it's a newsflash. In any case, the government won't get any of those fees unlike what the discussion had devolved to. It will all flow to the brokerage house.

Then again, I don't get the whole Assets Under Management (AUM) rip off fees, either. Why is it a 40 year old who has $250,000 to invest and gets told to put 60% in an S&P 500 index fund and 40% in a medium term government bond fund* get charged a higher fee than someone with only $100,000 to invest with the same recommendation. On top of that, some (many?) investment advisors will steer an uneducated investor to an Oppenheimer or American Funds index mutual fund with a 5-7% load on top of the fund's management and 12b-1 fees. They give the same recommendation to both but one pays a higher "actual dollars" fee. There no creative difference of effort there.

* The funds are just examples. Just pick your own variant of a MPT fund allocation.
=====

“While the dividend itself is merely a rearrangement of equity, over time it's more like owning an apple tree. The tree grows the apples back again and again and again, and the theoretical value of the tree doesn't change just because of when the apples are about to fall.” - earthtodan

Messages In This Thread
New US Retirement Account Laws - by Caversham - 04-06-2016, 06:36 AM
RE: New US Retirement Account Laws - by EricL - 04-06-2016, 10:43 AM
RE: New US Retirement Account Laws - by Bogart - 04-06-2016, 12:15 PM
RE: New US Retirement Account Laws - by Kerim - 04-07-2016, 10:32 AM
RE: New US Retirement Account Laws - by Caversham - 04-07-2016, 06:34 PM
RE: New US Retirement Account Laws - by Dividend Watcher - 04-07-2016, 08:57 PM
RE: New US Retirement Account Laws - by Kerim - 04-07-2016, 09:58 PM
RE: New US Retirement Account Laws - by Kerim - 04-07-2016, 09:58 PM