Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Portfolio suggestions?
(10-15-2015, 02:17 PM)ExDripper Wrote: It doesn't look like much listed out, does it?

A journey begins with the first few steps! NONE of us started with a 50 position, million dollar portfolio.

Looking good so far, ExDripper. One thing is I don't know if this portfolio is retirement money or not and your time frame. I'm assuming it is and you've got a while before you need it.

FINANCIALS: Everyone talks about WFC but I haven't done any research on them. If you can stomach the exchange rate fluctuations, I'd look at the Canadian banks. Over a 10 year time frame the forex issues should average out and they're paying a nice yield right now. The only insurance company I know anything about is AFL. I hold it and over the longer term dividend growth rate and earnings should improve. I believe management is making slow, measured moves away from relying on Japan for the bulk of their profits. I've noticed more and a more aggressive salesforce the last few years in the U.S around me.

Any interest in REITs? I know they're a part of financials but I believe S&P is breaking them out to a separate GICS category in 2016. WPC/HCP/OHI aren't priced too high right here. Then there's O -- a little pricey here, IMO. DLR? HCN? NNN?

TECH: If you paired APPL/MSFT in half positions, you'd have quite a bit of tech (retail and general business) covered unless you're really into hardware. APPL's priced well here, MSFT not so much.

TELECOM: T or VZ. Both yielding more than 5%. Slow growth but the cash machine gives you ammo to reinvest or buy others. Check free cash flow vs. EPS for more realistic payout ratios.

If you don't mind the exchange rate issues with the banks mentioned above, may also want to look at BCE (Bell Canada) or Telus (TU). BCE has the yield and TU is an interesting growth play.

There's others but you specifically asked about those sectors. Hope that gives you ideas.
=====

“While the dividend itself is merely a rearrangement of equity, over time it's more like owning an apple tree. The tree grows the apples back again and again and again, and the theoretical value of the tree doesn't change just because of when the apples are about to fall.” - earthtodan

Messages In This Thread
Portfolio suggestions? - by ExDripper - 10-15-2015, 02:17 PM
RE: Portfolio suggestions? - by Dividend Watcher - 10-15-2015, 09:06 PM
RE: Portfolio suggestions? - by ExDripper - 10-31-2015, 10:29 AM
RE: Portfolio suggestions? - by Roadmap2Retire - 10-15-2015, 09:55 PM
RE: Portfolio suggestions? - by ExDripper - 03-24-2016, 10:56 AM
RE: Portfolio suggestions? - by DividendGarden - 03-24-2016, 02:17 PM
RE: Portfolio suggestions? - by Dividend Watcher - 03-24-2016, 04:49 PM
RE: Portfolio suggestions? - by ExDripper - 03-25-2016, 12:22 PM
RE: Portfolio suggestions? - by ExDripper - 02-03-2017, 11:00 AM
RE: Portfolio suggestions? - by EricL - 02-03-2017, 02:44 PM
RE: Portfolio suggestions? - by crimsonghost747 - 02-04-2017, 12:06 AM