Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If you were starting from scratch..
Gawd, I hate giving shopping lists. I don't want you buying things just because someone gave you a tip. You'll be much more confident in the next bear market if you had made the decision based on your understanding of the company yourself.

That being said, all good suggestions. I'm thinking a different tack than most suggestions above. Since you're younger than some of the socks in my dresser, a little more growth but a lower yield at your age may get the dividend steamroller moving. You're not going to be interested in looking at 2-3% yielders as much as utes and REITs when you're 50ish. In other words, mix it up a little.

For my answer, I'll go back to the reply in the thread you started in May:

Quote:If I were you I'd look at things like JNJ/ABBV, COP/CVX/XOM, PH/EMR, AMGN/GILD (it's now officially a dividend payer), ROST/TJX, LMT/RTN, KO/PEP, AAPL/MSFT, HCP/WCP/OHI or even DE/CAT right now. I don't think any of them are outrageously priced -- especially for the time frame you're looking at.

Still don't think they're too extended right now either and to which I would add GWW/FAST and delete the AAPL/MSFT pairing since I know where you're at there. Probably can drop the JNJ/ABBV pair since you already have JNJ and ABBV is at the top of its range.
=====

“While the dividend itself is merely a rearrangement of equity, over time it's more like owning an apple tree. The tree grows the apples back again and again and again, and the theoretical value of the tree doesn't change just because of when the apples are about to fall.” - earthtodan

Messages In This Thread
RE: If you were starting from scratch.. - by benjamen - 07-17-2015, 06:36 AM
RE: If you were starting from scratch.. - by Dividend Watcher - 07-17-2015, 01:58 PM