Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
REITs, anyone?
HCN is the Big Kahuna in the healthcare REIT sector although VTR is playing catch up. Slow but steady grower. It focuses more on the private payers in the senior living/skilled nursing fields than the other healthcare REITs.

HCP is spread across most type of healthcare fields -- SNF, MOB, hospitals, senior living & life sciences. It's a Dividend Champion and, last I looked, the only REIT in the S&P Dividends Aristocrats list. It's been around for a long time and has weathered it's stormy past well. Over time, the ManorCare problems will be straightened out. In the meantime, HCP got some cheap ownership in some of ManorCare's own properties and collects fees from them on it.

OHI is pretty focussed on the skilled nursing facility field. Although, it seems to me, more exposed to government reimbursement issues, they have continued to raise the dividend like clockwork. With the purchase of AVIV, they've raised their footprint in SNF's significantly. They've also had their debt ratings raised by S&P -- a good sign.

VTR recently spun off CCP with most(?) of their SNF inventory. They've been a fast grower for the last decade. Don't know as much about them but, with R2R's link above, I'll have to look a little deeper.

Long HCP (wife's portfolio) and OHI (my portfolio) along with O and WPC. If it were me, I wouldn't just concentrate on the healthcare field for REITs. O, WPC, STAG, AMT and DLR are some of the other popular names to look at. Self-storage, apartments & hospitality REITs have become more popular lately but I'm skeptical of their long-term performance compared to the retail and healthcare fields.

All the REITs have come off of their lows in the Aug/Sept correction but with renewed rumors of the hike in the fed funds rate coming this December, you might have a better price waiting for a month or two.

In the meantime, you may want to meander on over to the NAREIT site and get some further background and information there. (https://www.reit.com/nareit)
=====

“While the dividend itself is merely a rearrangement of equity, over time it's more like owning an apple tree. The tree grows the apples back again and again and again, and the theoretical value of the tree doesn't change just because of when the apples are about to fall.” - earthtodan

Messages In This Thread
REITs, anyone? - by jim - 11-04-2015, 04:46 PM
RE: REITs, anyone? - by Roadmap2Retire - 11-04-2015, 11:05 PM
RE: REITs, anyone? - by jim - 11-06-2015, 06:15 AM
RE: REITs, anyone? - by Roadmap2Retire - 11-06-2015, 10:01 AM
RE: REITs, anyone? - by Rasec - 11-04-2015, 11:40 PM
RE: REITs, anyone? - by Dividend Watcher - 11-05-2015, 12:22 AM
RE: REITs, anyone? - by Kerim - 11-06-2015, 11:45 AM
RE: REITs, anyone? - by JxC - 11-06-2015, 01:02 PM
RE: REITs, anyone? - by jim - 11-06-2015, 06:57 PM
RE: REITs, anyone? - by Dividendsrule - 11-06-2015, 08:20 PM
RE: REITs, anyone? - by jim - 11-07-2015, 08:09 AM